Newgrounds started out as a Flash community and all of the early games were made with Flash then uploaded in SWF format. Times are changing, however, as browsers will be ending support for the SWF format in 2020. We've kept our Flash-related links on this page but have moved them further down, prioritizing HTML5 development tools as the more modern path forward.
When you export a game in HTML5 format, you will upload it as a ZIP file to Newgrounds. The root of your ZIP will contain an index.html - this is the file we will load in an iframe on our page. Most software spits out a ZIP that is ready to go.
HTML5 Game Development Tools
- A 2D game development tool that works right in your web browser! Games can be made with drag and drop logic, no programming experience required. Export options include web, PC, mobile and Xbox One. Subscription-based. Example games.
See the NG API Plugin.
Game Maker 2
For a fee, you can export your Game Maker projects as HTML5! Game Maker can also export to PC, mobile and various consoles. Example games.
- Free, open source engine that is increasingly popular with 2D games in particular. Can export to HTML5.
- A 2D game development tool that requires no coding experience but also lets you access your code. Now experimenting with HTML5 exports! Examples.
- The previous version of Construct, which is a flat fee but will ultimately be surpassed by C3 features. Example games.
See the NG API Plugin.
If you need help, supervanz made a tutorial
based on some things that gave him trouble.
- A great tool for developing both 3D and 2D games, able to export to HTML5, PC, mobile and various consoles. The downside is your HTML5 files will be more bloated than those created with Construct and Game Maker but this is a very powerful tool otherwise. Here are the tutorials
that got @The-Swain
moving with Madness: Project Nexus 2.
Clickteam Fusion 2.5
- Event based game development similar to Construct and Stencyl. Has export options for SWF and HTML5, as well as other platforms!
- Free tool for creating interactive, nonlinear stories.
- Free tool for creating visual novels.
- Fantasy console with harsh limitations, resulting in small, creative games with a distinct look and feel. Check out this Pico 8 NG Medals Tutorial
HTML5 Development Frameworks
- Developed by @PhotonStorm
, Phaser is an HTML5 game framework that is quickly gaining attention. If you are ready to move from SWF to HTML5, this is a good way to go! If you'd like an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) like the tools above, there is Phaser Editor!
- Flixel, remade with Haxe and able to export to SWF, HTML5, mobile and desktop. Cool stuff!
Official Flash IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
Adobe Animate, previously Flash
- The original software to produce Flash content, created by Macromedia and later bought by Adobe.
- Uses the Flash API, but goes everywhere that Flash Player cannot. Use a familiar workflow to accelerate development, and even leverage Adobe Animate as an integrated art pipeline.
Alternative SWF Development Frameworks
Instead of the Flash IDE, the following frameworks work in tandem with the free Flash Develop
IDE. They all have tutorials that will walk you through it. WARNING: SWF content will no longer work in web browsers after 2020 so it is recommended you develop your games using the tools above.
- Developed by @AdamAtomic
, the Flixel framework allows you to make amazing 2D games in less time than with Flash. Check out these examples
and these tutorials by Schulles:
Follow this tutorial to learn how to setup flixel and create your own 8bit-platformer!
- 4.16 / 5.00
- 64,578 Views
The second part of the famous flixel-tutorial exclusively on Newgrounds!
- 4.19 / 5.00
- 24,703 Views
- Developed by ChevyRay, FlashPunk is an alternative to Flixel. It all comes down to personal preference. Check out these examples.
- Free general-purpose 2D visual level editor, making it easier to construct tile-based levels and spit out XML output for your games. Recommended by Flixel devs. Used in the development of Cat Astro Phi
, for example.
- Like DAME, Ogmo is a free level editor. It's now open source and gaining momentum! Could be the new favorite.
- A program for creating sound effects for games, music, videos - whatever you want!
- A program for making sound effects for computer games.
We also have an entire section dedicated to Music and Audio resources
, including royalty free music.
Game Art Assets
If you need an artist for your game, you'd be surprised how many artists here on NG would be happy to partner with you! The important thing is you should have a viable engine demo before you approach anyone, to show you've taken initiative and have developed your abilities. If you aren't ready to reach out to anyone directly, you could instead make use of an asset pack!
- A free art asset pack by @Kenney.