Reviews for "Don't Mean a Thing"

I never laughed so hard from listening to a song before! I don't think I'll ever forget this one. I love the cute xylophone countermelody, and the banjo comment is gold. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite entry from the ones I heard so far.

LunacyEcho responds:

Oh man, that's high praise! Thanks for listening and glad you liked the bit about the banjo haha

Dude, this is too awesome!
Solid story and theme.
Fully explored musical ideas.
And under 4 hours?
This is nuts lol. Really awesome job!

LunacyEcho responds:

oh, haha i was super joking about that in the forum lol—been working on this for a week :P

but thank you so much for the kind words!!! hope you don't change your score because i lied hehehe

Luny! This is so great! Very cute song and your voice sounds amazing and the lyrics are wonderful. Amazing :)

PS. The bridge is absolutely hilarious. I love everything about this.

LunacyEcho responds:

WHOA where the hell did you come from!!!! we should really catch up sometime yeyeyey

ty for listen bb :))

Great, fun, catchy tune!

The lyrics are also very inspiring and relatable. Particularly the whole bit on how everyone has their own perspective they preach, but you mustn't lose track of yours.

Very endearing and a delight to listen to!

LunacyEcho responds:

tyty other luny !!! relatability sells man

Such a fun song.

I'm going to let this critique follow the flow of the song for this unofficial NGADM review, typing in stream-of-consciousness format:

You have quite a bit of bass in your voice. These frequencies are competing with the guitar right off the bat, so I'd recommend scooping some of that out of the guitar, especially in the 100-500hz range.

The esses are harsh in the vocals (and a bit in the guitar, too). A de-esser would make it easier to listen to this at slightly higher volumes.

The first guitar would benefit from either a stereo delay to separate it into the left and right channel, or a somewhat hard-pan that could be balanced by other instruments in the other channel. It's fighting with the vocals for space, and I'd love for your voice to have more room to shine.

The warmth of the string plucks would sound very nice on their own, but they're adding even more competition to the low-mid range. Attention to EQ would again be handy.

Enter another low-mid competitor: The bass! It's fighting with the kick, too, so it ended up getting turned up crazy high just to be properly audible in the mix. We end up with a boomy sound without a lot of clarity.

Really great composition and progression so far. The break at 0:38 is wonderful, although the kick comes in a bit loud. This kick sounds like it would work with EDM or 80s music more than this folksy tune, since it's very sharp and full. A little humanization would go a long way, too. Nobody stomps the pedal exactly the same every time.

The guitar sound doesn't really need to be humanized at this spot. It sounds like it's being played by a keyboard, so it works just fine. It occupies the mid range nicely, being one of few instruments that isn't fighting for space.

LOVE the banjo. You're right to think it could be humanized, but it's charming enough for that not to matter. The bells are great, too, but quite loud.

Not a huge fan of the choice of double-time execution at 2:57, but it's charming when you do it, and the comedic aspect makes up for my opinion of the compositional choice.

There is a ton of reverb in this track, creating even more competition for space, and adding more boom.

There isn't much to criticize in terms of composition. Although the double-time was a bit rough, and nothing particularly new, riveting, or out-of-the box was employed, this was a delightful song with a positive message and a giddy style. Great work!

The sound design was fairly consistent (folk meets synth pop), but it just barely held together. I would have loved some more quirky sounds to give extra life to the track. Percussion, in particular, would have benefited. It also sounds like you used a lot of stock sounds, then added compression and reverb. Still, loved it.

You received a high score in creativity and replay value for obvious reasons - this is very catchy and unique. Still, playing around a bit more and taking some extra risks could have bolstered creativity in particular.

My apologies for not being able to get together a more structured review!
Work on that mix and continue pumping out the charm, and you'll do great.

Composition: 8.25/10
Production: 4.75/10
Sound Design: 7.5/10
Creativity: 8.75/10
Replay/Application Value: 9.5/10
Overall: 7.75/10

NG score bolstered because Judge Jacob is about one star harsher than User Jacob.