Reviews for "Butterflies"

Oh dang those vocals are awesome! Did you record them or use a Vocaloid?
Sounds awesome!!!

Love the music style of this. I know its Kawaii but your twist on it is really well done.

KawaiSprite responds:

Hey thank you! It’s actually my voice with little alterboy and autotune.

The main bass line is delightfully rumbly. BRrrrRR Weee. A very catchy tune. Cute vocals, give it a bunch of flavoHoly #!$@ That bass line just divebombed even lower.

Really cool effect with that. The overall song is enjoyable and fun to listen to! Great job!

KawaiSprite responds:

hey thanks for the feedback!

Didn't know what i'd expect from the vocalized voice, but it was done beatifically. I really like the drop and the build up could start as loud at it does, but i feel before the drop it could start a little quieter. Really lovin the vibe though!

I really enjoyed the structure of the song (and the song itself). I liked the vocaloid voice, it really fits the track. Some notes of the lyrics around 2:44 feel out of scale but out of that it sounds good. I think that some plucky lead sounds are too dry which make some parts of the track feel a bit empty, but that's not a big deal. I really loved the bass tho! Good job!

I like the cute vocals at the beginning, but the synths are a little cheesy, but I like the telephone sound effects at :35. The lyrics are well-written, if a tad generic at times. Some of the jittery rhythmic synths sound a little harsh in my ears, like around :32. I also think the texture is pretty thin throughout. Some more mid-range instruments, like pads or back-up melodies, would help fill out the mix a little more. The melodic content at :49 is nice, although I think the drums at the 1-minute mark are a little quiet, especially the hi-hats. You have a good sense of rhythm and progression, and I like the frantic, distorted rap part at 1:38. The sound design can sound a bit unpolished at times, but the atmospheric section at 2:04 was much stronger. There’s still a jittery atmospheric instrument in the background there that sounds a little too strong in my headphones...it’s almost like some nature FX or something. Crickets, maybe? The pause at 2:41 was a little awkward, but the reverb helps bridge the gap there, and the fade-in of the melodic synths at 3:03 is well done. The piece comes together pretty well at the end, although the percussion is a little overwhelming. Overall, there are a lot of good ideas here, and you clearly have a good sense of rhythm, harmony, and melody, but the mix needs a little more balance and polish, and the instrumentation can be harsh sometimes. Keep at it, Kawaisprite! :)

Mixing, mastering, and balance
1.25/2
Structure, transitions, phrasing, and variety
1.25/1.5
Melody, tonality, harmony, and texture
1.5/2
Instrumentation and sound design
.5/1
Emotion, atmosphere, and catchiness
1.25/1.5
Originality and uniqueness
.75/1
Overall (how do the elements above interact?)
.75/1
Composite score
7.25/10

KawaiSprite responds:

I don’t really care about the technical stuff as long as the music incited some kind of emotional reaction. If someone listens to my music and feels nothing then I have failed. Everything else comes second, even I’m aware of how reckless that sounds. But alas that’s how art works at least for me. I don’t over analyze or overthink, so if that is applied to the detriment of my art then so be it. There is my process