Reviews for "Felix Zophar - Friday Mornings"

This is really nice, I love the vocal chops and the old-school instrumentation. In the really intense drops, the kick could have more power.

FelixZophar responds:

Okay man! Kicks are your thing bro!

I really like the vocals
I'mma raise the score a bit :D

FelixZophar responds:

Why do you always leave like 4 stars lol?

Great song. Reaaaallllyyyyy enjoyed it. Just wish I could download it

4/5

FRS

FelixZophar responds:

Yeah thanks man! Yeah sorry but I don't make my songs avalible for download.

I like the blissful, smooth, dreamy vibe at the beginning. The bright pads at :10 and synth arpeggios are valuable additions to the texture. The chopped vocals at :19 are cool, and the production quality is strong here. I like the thicker texture at :40, too, and the fade-in of the melodic content at :50. There’s a lot of room for climax with this piece, but the intro feels a bit dragged out until things finally fall into a cathartic melodic phrase at 1:19. The reverb at 1:19 might’ve been a tad too heavy, which is especially noticeable after the additional layer of harmony is added at 1:30. Still, there isn’t a ton of harmonic variety in this piece, which is probably my main complaint. After 5 minutes, the harmonic paradigm you have here feels very repetitive, and despite the well-crafted ebb and flow of the texture via the cycle of build-ups, drops, and re-intros, I wanted to see you shake up the chord progression at some point, or at least use a modulation or two. Overall, solid work with the melodic content, production, mood, and sound design. There’s room for a bit more variety and originality in the composition, but the piece comes together well by the end with the powerful synth guitar. The mix can feel a bit strained during the busier sections of this piece, though - be careful about that. Keep at it, Zophar! ^_^

Mixing, mastering, and balance
1.5/2
Structure, transitions, phrasing, and variety
1.25/1.5
Melody, tonality, harmony, and texture
2/2
Instrumentation and sound design
1/1
Emotion, atmosphere, and catchiness
1.5/1.5
Originality and uniqueness
.25/1
Overall (how do the elements above interact?)
.75/1
Composite score
8.25/10

FelixZophar responds:

I wanted to make this song sound like a song that would be on chill nation or something like that. That explains the repetitiveness. I appreciate your review and will take some of it into note.