Reviews for "On Go"

This is an official NGADM '18 Round 1 Review

Beginning Comments: A song I think that fits your style, but also a good display of your skill. Something you should be proud of.

Production and Mixing: It's so clean at the beginning, and I can tell you pay special attention to your mixing. The only issue I had, which I didn't notice the first time around, the levels did seem to get a little tiring. Maybe the bass overall was a little bit much or the highs were a little too piercing. Not sure exactly what it was, but other than that I think this is well mixed and sounds like a finished product.

Composition and Structure: The beginning melody you use to build the theme is beautiful, and I think you build off of it nicely with your development. The only issue I had with the structure is that I was starting to think the first big section started to overstay its welcome about 15-30 seconds before you dropped the intensity down a bit. However, the change in dynamics are really nice.

Sound Design: I love your synths. The first synth you used for the intro reminded me of the Aquatic Ambiance song from Donkey Kong Country. Great nostalgia, but even without that in mind, it's such a cool sounding synth what you have. I like your very subtle use of rain at the beginning. Throughout the whole song you use some really interesting elements for background details. Those sound elements in the background may be off putting, but I enjoyed the details and helped with the tone of the piece. The other synths you use are a unique style to you because I know I've reviewed that style in previous chipscompos, but I never get enough of them either.

Ending Comments: I really didn't have many issues with your song. Which maybe as a judge that's not the best thing to say in a Deathmatch setting, but at least the few thoughts I could jot down could help with your improvement. Don't give up. Don't be too hard on yourself either. You're not going to make the best music if you think you're not good enough. Don't worry anything else aside from your music. Go On and enjoy the gift of sOnG…..or whatever.

Score:

Total - 8.75
Production - 1.75
Sound Design - 2
Composition - 2
Structure - 1.5
Replay - 1.5

ey spade

feel like your comment about the levels getting tiring and the comment about the drop section overstaying its welcome are tied together, probably has something to do with the fact that the whole thing is 9/8 swing which feels fast but the bars pass by really slowly

ooh aquatic ambiance, not entirely what i was going for but i do love me some david wise

i'm against you-know-who so i'm gonna have to pull myself together for the next three weeks :P i'm gonna try to take your advice to heart man thanks so much

also niiiice, i didn't think of putting "Go On" somewhere in the description, that's brilliant gg

I can GlOriOusly tell that you surely dO play with wOrds a Great lOt.

1f1n1ty responds:

uh you're not doing it right though, you're just capitalizing Os and Gs. you have the sneak the phrase "On Go" into your speech :/

thanks for noticOnG otherwise, though! :)

Well I'm glad that I got On Good songs for ONGOADM with OnGoing greatness. I approve of this song pretty well. It's got that casual 1f1n1ty vibe that I find in most of your stuff, plus some cOnGos, bOnGos, and other stuffs that give it this kinda trance-y house vibe having it On Go with ambiance. In a way, it kinda reminds me of Lockyn's remix of 3mber and Srk's "Night Owls".

My issue for this would most likely come in the form of the key change. You see, I would kinda expect it at 3:54, when it stops slowing down, but then it comes out of nowhere at 4:00. While it is unique, and I will give it credit for that, it just seems a little rocky, especially since we're already establishing the second main part and then here comes this key change about 4 measures late. It's not a big problem, but it's a generally small one that I have with this.

Overall, I like this a lot. In my opinion, it has a great chance in NGADM. Great job and good luck :D

1f1n1ty responds:

oh yeah you're right i should have just put the key change there! that would have been much more effective

thanks for the thoughts! i find your opiniOn Good and constructive :)

I can't tell what's better, the song itself or the description. Seriously tho, pretty solid my guy

1f1n1ty responds:

is my descriptiOn Going strOnG? i guess it is!

The tempo automations with that synth at the beginning are really cool. Bongos are also cool. I love the swells with the pads, too (first the big one at :05 and then the smaller ones starting at :22). The piece is really catchy, albeit a little slow-paced. The melodic content at :54 is super funky and refreshing. The sound effect at 1:01 sounded a little harsh, but overall that entire refrain is really creative rhythmically and pleasing harmonically. The dreamier melodic content that starts at around 1:30 is a quite welcome shift in the overall texture/flavor of the piece. The breakdown at 2:38 is also a great element of the progression. Despite the slow pacing of the piece, there's a ton of structural variety and ebb and flow in the composition. The jazzy chords at around the 4-minute mark serve you well. The final refrain really comes together nicely. This piece takes me on a journey, 1f1n1ty. Great work! Probably the strongest composition I've heard for this year's NGADM so far, at the very least of an electronic track for sure. By all means, keep it up! And good luck in the ADM. ^_^