Reviews for "Oh Mama Hey!"

Beautiful presentation. Poppy without being disingenuous. This one is going on my personal playlist,. I really, really like it. There's not much critique I have minus the snare having a couple frequencies that stick out here and there, perhaps needing a bit more compression on the percussion, and perhaps a little loose tuning on the acoustic guitar.

Great, great, great! <3 I'll be singing it.

Please, run full speed ahead into this genre, and never stop. You own it. :)

FinnMK responds:

Thanks for the kind words. I hear you on the snare - I can never seem to get a 100% perfect snare tone. As for doing more folk rock, eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh...we'll see. But good to know I don't suck at it!

I like the fun, organic feel. The piano that comes in at around :10 is very bright and upbeat, yet seemed to be slightly out-of-tune, unfortunately, unless my ears betray me. That said, it almost fit with the down-to-earth, campfire sing-a-long vibe of the piece. The lyrics are amusing and light-hearted, and the production quality is really strong. It was absolutely fantastic to see you express so much of your upbringing and heritage in the song, too. If I had to complain about one thing, it was that you didn’t do anything particularly interesting with the piece after the bridge. It still comes together pretty nicely, but at this stage of the competition the last refrain sounding exactly the same as the others seems a tad underwhelming. But allow me to put that last comment into perspective: this piece is still a wonderful achievement that makes me want to call my mother right away. Keep up the good work, Finn!

Mixing, mastering, and balance
2/2
Structure, transitions, phrasing, and variety
1.75/2
Melody, tonality, harmony, and texture
1.75/2
Instrumentation and sound design
Emotion, atmosphere, and catchiness
Originality and uniqueness
1/1
Overall (how do the above elements interact?)
Composite score
9.5/10

FinnMK responds:

I detuned the piano on purpose! I liked the feel of it.
That's a good point about the last refrain. I'll make sure to keep things fresh for the grand finale...

Oh wow, I really love this! You've got such a great voice, and it's very apparent in this track in particular. The "farm life" paragraph (pre-chorus? :p) is definitely my favorite!

Wonderful job on this, and good luck! :3

FinnMK responds:

Thanks very much, o all-powerful scribe!

Nice job! Like how well mixed and crisp everything is.

For the lyrics, should you say

Oh mam Hey!
Oh mama oh (x2)

since it is repeated twice?

Anyway great job and I look forward to hearing more from you!

FinnMK responds:

Thanks a bunch! And yep, maybe I should. When I write down the lyrics I'm always pretty lazy when it comes to sections with repeated phrases, so I never write the number down haha.

random thought: during the "oh mama hey" section, could the drums accentuate the rhythm of the vocals somehow (rather than continuing the same rhythm)??

anyway great song finn!!! its super duper catchy and fun and enjoyable. i think its your best one??

good luck vs etherealwinds, thats a scary matchup!

Dang, that's a good idea. If only you'd told me sooner! :0

Yep, we'll see. I don't think this is my best work, honestly, but maybe the judges will think differently.