this is a good thing
Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!
this is a good thing
this makes me
future funk x glitch hop idk
Stuff that's great:
- I wonder what it is with people and fake slap basses recently. Slap basses tho, awesome.
- All the little vocal clips and the vocal 'pop' thing towards the end. Those were great!
- You have a lot of really neat little melodic phrases throughout this.
- Very good sound palatte, solid arrangement throughout.
Stuff that can be improved:
- Mix. So like, you know how I mentioned there are a lot of neat melodic phrases through this? It would be phenomenal to be able to hear them without focusing quite hard on the mix - I tested it on multiple speakers, and the melodies are almost completely buried behind the bass, chords, and generally ALL THE OTHER STUFF in the climactic sections. In other words, mix does not have distortion, but it's not actually clean and the background is significantly louder than the melodies.
- The sudden unexpected and awkward chord thing at 2:40.
- The fact that significant portions of the song are literally copy/pasted from before, such as almost the entire climax, minus some sound effects adding into the overcompression - barely any variation in these. (0:10 & 1:17, 0:20 and 1:58 for two examples - only small additions in the background)
So, this has a lot of really neat melodic ideas in it which sound great, and a generally cool atmosphere with some good ear candy. Main issues are the mix being a bit too full and a significant portion of the song being copy/pasted.
I like the warm, atmospheric texture at the beginning and the fun bass line. The melodic content is enjoyable, and the blissful mood is a huge plus. The sound design is pretty cool, too - I love the melody instrument at 1:18. Nice job creating some structural variety and flow. The “yeah boiii” sample at 2:07 made me smile. Overall, this is just a hugely fun piece. My only negatives include that I thought the ending was a bit rushed, and that the fade-in at the beginning could’ve been more creative. Otherwise, really admirable work. Production quality is top-notch. Keep up the great work! ^^
Mixing, mastering, and balance
Structure, transitions, phrasing, and variety
Melody, tonality, harmony, and texture
Instrumentation and sound design
Emotion, atmosphere, and catchiness
Originality and uniqueness
Overall (how do the above elements interact?)