For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 38 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "The Ascension"

Good job! No kidding, but my dream is to get a good review on my song.

I like all of the pads and stuff you add into it, like 1:53 when you add that string sounding thing in. One thing I think you could do is try to make it sound cleaner. With it mixed together and some of the pads having a long, loud release, it seemed a bit messy and chaotic, especially at 2:26. But it sounds nice and colorful. Good job.

kylermannn responds:

Aaaah haha yeah, there are definitely more than just a few poorly mixed and messy parts of the song. I'd take it down and work on it to try and fix some of that, but I'm like, 100% bored of this one.

Much appreciated though, man!
(It's funny how you'd pop in since I was just listening to a few of your songs at work today haha)

Dope track man! Was wondering though, how did you manage to build your community here on Newgrounds? Just starting out and could use some help ;p

kylermannn responds:

Ayyy thanks dude! I wouldn't say I ever really built a community haha (aside from my 20 or so fans). I usually don't break 500 views in a month on most songs, but this one exploded somehow. I've never advertised or anything like that so idk what to tell ya :[

Composition is absolutely lovely, but the mix is super cluttered. I wouldn't be surprised if this was on something like Armada otherwise. Have you heard of side chain? (super important for trance especially).

Keep up the incredible work, I would love to listen to a VIP of this when your mix improves!

kylermannn responds:

Thanks dude! Yeah, I'd definitely agree about the mix. It's definitely a weakness of mine.

I've never heard of side chain though. Looks like its a way to duck reverb behind stuff? That sounds more technical than anything I've ever done haha. For the most part, I've kind of just self-taught myself through experience and playing around with the built-in FL plugins. I think I'll try and look into tho. Thanks for the tip!

Great song!
- could maybe use some more mastering and a side chain like @chaelmusic said. Side chain the lead and buildup synths to the kick (and maybe the snare because the like first drop was just a snare).

Thanks brosef!

I just got done messing around with side chaining and stuff and it seems like it's definitely going to come in handy in the future. I'm not sure when I'm going to feel like trying to make this song sound better, buuut I'll definitely try sidechaining that stuff eventually.