Reviews for "AIM - Chris, the Boat and the Tormented Sea"

The emotional state of the track fluctuates between tranquility and restlessness, as the chord progression progresses. The way you periodically slow down in playing serves as a momentum killer; the song lacks a stormy climax, but that's a good thing because the lack thereof contributes to the cold-somberness of the track, which appropriately resembles the art. I really like the chord progression; it flows well, yet it conveys so many emotions, from bittersweet to dissatisfaction. The LH arrangement is interesting to listen to by itself; it sometimes sounds like the RH is supplementing the LH arrangement, rather than vice versa. Additionally, the LH arrangement is far more memorable once the song ends. Regarding the mix, the piano sounds harsh and cold; it sort of denies one full-satisfaction, but that's appropriate here. Not only does your song resemble the art work well, but you managed to perfectly manifest the art work's color palette in your own work, from the cold-blues to the highlights and shadows. The very ending evokes a sense of dissatisfaction, which I believe was a risky move, but it worked. A more-satisfying conclusion wouldn't have been that appropriate here in my opinion. I wouldn't say that you composed this song in a rush, but rather, you got caught in the storm of life and made it out just in time :)

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I agree with pretty much all of your observations! I would argue there's more than tranquility and restlessness in the motion, such as uncertainty, determination, etc. But that's definitely two major parts!

Also, although the song lacks a clear climax, there are a few parts that are a bit more triumphant than the others. One example is the part between 1:45 and 2:15.
It's good to hear you like the chord progression! It repeats almost entirely (with a few changes, and additions) after 1:35, but with a new arrangement, and at times differing right hand movement.

I'm especially happy you like the LH parts! A lot of the melody is indeed prominent in the left hands role, after all. Ofc, the top notes of the right hand, serve as a sort of melody at many points as well. Great observation, once again!

As you know, I tried several different mixes, to have some to choose between, and I settled for this one because it sounded the most grand, and fit the artwork the best (IMO). It would be very possible to create a "warmer" mix, but I think that would change the atmosphere a fair deal :)
I'm glad you seem to think so as well!

I definitely didn't want the piece to have a seemingly positive ending. I wanted it to be somewhat ambiguous, yet heavily leaning on the darker side of things. I wouldn't say it was a rush either, to be truthful. I just really managed to ride the waves of "flow" :D

Thank you for taking the time to listen to this more than once, and for reviewing it!

Ah, Lucid! Hail and well met, my friend. Very happy to see you have arrived with an entry of your own.

You move so effortlessly and gracefully from major to minor chords, conveying both the sense of wonder and adventure of a boating excursion, and the fact that it goes somewhat awry due to the capricious nature of the sea. You're playing captures the imagery well, emotions of mixed excitement and fear being conveyed as your fingers dance up and down the keys.

Although the track itself is a very solid four minutes in length, the journey seems to end so much sooner. Yet another hallmark of all the best music would be getting lost in it, which I most certainly have. Thank you very much for the art-inspired journey! Yet another gorgeous solo piano track has been added to your ever-expanding repertoire.

Hallo!

As I mentioned in the description, I wouldn't want to miss out on this contest ;)
That said, it ended up being a bit of a last minute one. Luckily, once I knew what I wanted to make, the process was ridiculously fast :O

This composition is indeed very reliant upon the chords used, and the changes between them. It has been a while since I composed any longer section of a piece in this style, but I found it very enjoyable to do! For this kind of atmosphere, the right chords (almost) literally found themselves. You interpretation of my composition together with the art, seems to be a shared one! I'm quite happy about that :)

It's great to hear that the length didn't feel like a drag, but more like a journey with an abrupt ending, of sorts. I love getting lost in other people's piano compositions that are similarly styled, so every now and then I try my best to evoke that experience in others. Thank you very much, for the listen as well as for your words!

Have a great one ;)

Played this a few times at work on the Office speaker since a few of us usually turn on the Classical Radio station in the morning. We all liked the piece, no one really had any criticism and I think it does fit the artpiece quite nicely. I'm not that grounded in theory so I can't really convey my thoughts fully in detail so I do apologise about the lack of info on that part.

So ayyyy, another great Solo Piece!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Oh nice, thanks for doing that! It's awesome to hear that everyone seemed to like it :)
Can't imagine it to be the most fun piece to listen to at work, but I'm sure there are worse ones, haha :D

Don't worry about not being a master of theory; neither am I. I just had fun composing the piece!
Thank you for listening, and for writing down your thoughts :333

Wow, not sure what to criticise here. Some beautifully written music!

Thanks a lot for listening and reviewing, 9LinesArtworx! :3

Fantastic and relaxing as usual :) there is really something special about a piano that makes one feel relaxed. Anyway I love it, nice work :)

Tusind tak!
Thanks for reviewing so much of my work :)
I'm glad if you found this to be relazing!!!