Reviews for "Wayward"

Its a decent game despite the lack of content. Only one song in the catalog, but its a good one. Hung around on the docks until 1600 before going to school and the teacher was still waiting for me. Thats dedication.

Not very subtle, it kind of just throws it's game design ideas directly at you and expects you to understand them. The music is shitty too.

This is it? The art and music are nice, but there is no character arc and no subtlety.

I'm sorry but I don't see how this game "questions my motivation for playing games" or let's say the questioning is rather minimal and there is not much of a pay off.
On the first day I took the wrong way on accident and the only thing I was questioning was, why my charakter doesn't know a way she(?) suposedly walks quite often.
Instead the correct way could have been more obvious, so the player would have to make an active choice to not go the known correct way. That way the player would have had the opportunity to ask him or herself why he or she chose the "wrong" way. But even then something would need to happen, a little hint for the player, or otherwise no one (or only quite a few) would realy start to question there decisionmaking in a game on a wider level.
The second day didn't fair much better. Now the player knows the way and most likely knows that's imposible to reach the school if the "wrong" path is chosen. Instead the choice is to help the granny and get punished for it or to not help the granny and get punished for it as well. Again no real insight on why the player chose to help the granny.

I think the question asked (although only in the description and not in the game itself) is quite interessting. Why do so many players deliberately choose the path that does not lead to their current goal first and only after exploring everything else they come back to the actual task, while in real life probably most of them would rather do the opposite?
There are probably a lot of answers to this, easy ones and not so easy ones but I'm afraid this game doesn't provide answers and it doesn't even help players to find their own answers. Sorry.

But the art is cute and while I wrote this way to long and in the grand scheme of things quite unnessecary comment I listened to the music and it didn't bore or annoy me, instead it helped me think, so well done there!

what is the point of this..?