Reviews for "Penderecki's Dream"

Quite right. Another masterpiece. The use the "sticks" was particularly effective.

This piece makes me sick, in a good way. Like looking at burnt, blackened skin. I can offer no critique, but I can say I wish to all hell I knew where you got hands on a string library to accomplish this piece! Very nice.

Phonometrologist responds:

>>This piece makes me sick
I laughed so hard when I read this.
The string libraries represented here are these two:
8Dio's CASE Solo String FX and 8Dio's CAGE Strings

Thank you for commenting.

Ohoho A fan of Penderecki are you? I find his compositions quite wonderful to listen to. I need to get my hands on a string library that can do extended techniques so that I can do something like this! I love the way you built up the sound with the orchestration in this piece. You created some truly beautiful soundscapes. In true Penderecki fashion, I was half expecting to hear a C major chord at the end lol. Great job all around and a bold move to put something so 'modern' sounding into this contest, though I understand why most people could associate something like this with the image. I look forward to hearing more music from you in the future! 8D

Phonometrologist responds:

Thank you for commenting, and it's good to see yet another listener who enjoys Penderecki. The only two string libraries that I used for the whole track are a bit pricey, but are at least worth it for me being a Penderecki fan. They are 8Dio's CASE Solo String FX and 8Dio's CAGE Strings. I also demo'd the solo strings library so I didn't actually have to purchase it.

I love the atmosphere you start to create at 1:40ish after the first climax, that builds into the descending passages. The build at the end is really cool, it sustains for long enough to get me on edge and then just a bit longer :). I am slightly surprised that it did not get muddy with everything going. The mix is certainly crisp and clean. Also the level of realism is surprising i think if you had mixed this with the intention on it sounding it a real string Orchestra, you could have fooled me.

Really superb job putting this together, I can not image how hard it must have been to stay away from any type of harmony for an almost 5 min piece. Oh, I have to mention that this makes me think of the Dead Space score. I think this piece would make Jason Graves happy :)

Phonometrologist responds:

When I sent you that message about reverb mixes, I had this piece in mind that I was referencing to. I did attempt to create this as if it was a live recording. As a template, I created 10 different channels representing the string sections of "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima," using the solo strings, and then I added several more channels for the library that had the whole orchestra. Having the solo strings library from 8Dio while using the whole string section from Cage really helped get a more realistic sound. I also looked at the score to see when what string sections (violins 1-4, violas 6-10, etc.) would come in in relation to the other parts of the orchestra. Very meticulous approach, but I really referenced the hell out of "Threnody..." from the musical structure to the actual sound of a live recording.

Quite horrifying indeed.....This tells a story. Although it's not melodic in the sense it flows in the usual pretty way most music does, this is the way of horror, and it flows well. This is probably one of the most horrifying things I've heard, reminds me a little of the early Friday the 13th movies, with the music I mean. It's very expressive of the artwork.

Though I do have mixed feelings, but the dynamics and mixing here are amazing. I don't know if I could listen again due to the fact my anxiety is now at an all time high....haha, is some pretty scary stuff (just like your "skull" piece that one year), but good piece still. Thing about this is, it's not all over the place, it actually has progression and build-up, and changes in the movement.

You should score a horror movie. God damn...lol

Phonometrologist responds:

Good for you for sitting through this; it was fun reading your review. It's reassuring that the "flow" or contour can be followed as I think all music should have that regardless if it's tonal or not. Thank you for the sentiment.