Reviews for "Next One Tactics"

i am challenged and confused by this

BigBossErndog responds:

Haha, what do you mean? XD Feel free to pm me about this.

short but sweet, has a neat gimmick and it plays off of it to its fullest potential.

final puzzle was particularly great, feels like the game was training for it which is honestly refreshing, figuring out the mechanics doesn't solve the puzzle while most combat games that is the puzzle.

BigBossErndog responds:

Thank you, this game was good practice designing level for me so it means a lot for you to acknowledge that :D

Game needs achievements

BigBossErndog responds:

Hmm, got any suggestions? Feel free to pm me!

Aw yeah, pretty cool idea. I can't rate it too highly as it has little replay value, but it's a fun little puzzler.

BigBossErndog responds:

That's fair. Thank you :)

The sorely needed instructions, especially for those who have never played a Fire Emblem game or anything else that uses the weapon triangle:

Sword beats Axe, Axe beats Spear, Spear beats Sword. Hitting something with its weakness deals 3 damage, hitting something with its strength deals 1, hitting it with the same weapon deals 2. All enemies have exactly 3 hearts, and you always have 4. Hitting an enemy with its weakness always kills it outright, though that's not always an option.

Later, it will add archers and mages. Archers deal 3 to themselves, 2 to mages, and 1 to everything else, but they do it at range 4, allowing them to widdle down melee with 1's. Mages deal 1 to themselves, and 3 to -everything- else at range 2. However, they take 3 from all melee, and 2 from archers.

You have 4 movement, all enemies have 2, and attempt to reach you in the most direct manner possible (straight line if lined up with you, diagonal towards you if not). Note that this means enemy movement is -never- random, and you can always plan where you want them to go. Each turn, you get one move and one attack. Movement is optional, and you can click yourself to skip it. The queue shows which class you will be on the next 2 turns.

That's everything you need to know about unit interactions, but you'll of course still have to actually solve the puzzles. :)

My review:
This is a nice set of puzzles built around TBS units... some of them definitely took multiple tries, and the leaderboard is a nice touch, since the first solution you find isn't necessarily the optimal one. All in all, it's a fun minigame, and quite well-made, especially by game jam standards as there obviously isn't time for polish. I definitely recommend adding instructions, even if it's just a (?) button with basically what I wrote above, as those who don't understand the weapon triangle and don't figure it out are going to be lost.

BigBossErndog responds:

Thanks for the in depth review! :D

I didn't have time to add instructions for this game jam, but instructions are definitely something I need to plan ahead for next time! Thanks again!