Reviews for "The Last AntLion"

It was OK. It was pretty easy until the mummies, then the big guy told me to not snipe in corners anymore. I didn't like the army ants, though, my buck stopped there.

velketor responds:

Thank you for playing dreamsfan! The wave of Mummy Ants includes the first Mini-Boss (Pharaoh Ant) and is the first real test of your skill as an AntLion. If you can beat the Pharaoh Ant, you will know how to defeat the Queen. They have a very similar mechanic.

Sniping in the corners can work sometimes, for some waves, depending on how lucky you are with the spawns but it's not a tactic that will work well later in the game.

The Army Ants are the final wave right before you battle the Queen. Don't give up! Try using bombs on them instead =)

awesome game!

velketor responds:

Thank you for playing Doodlink! I am so happy you enjoyed it =)

why are you having us hit number keys to execute attacks..?

velketor responds:

Thank you for playing sharpnova! You don't have to use the number keys, it's just the way I setup the game initially because it made sense to me and others who beta tested the game. Feel free to use any of these additional controls (also listed in the Author Comments):

Shoot: 1, H, J, SHIFT LEFT, SHIFT RIGHT, NUMPAD1, NUMPAD4
Jump: SPACE, UP ARROW, W, G, K, NUMPAD0, NUMPAD5
Select: MOUSE
Pause/Retry: ESC
Mute: M

nub pad nubers dont work for the controls they say? 1 is arrows 2 is jump and 3 is bomb, no roar or potion, just why

velketor responds:

Thank you for playing shadow11d! In the Author Comments, I list the different ways to control your character in the game. 2 is not jump (2 is Roar). 3 is not bomb (4 is bomb). The NUMPAD numbers do work, I just tested each one personally. Below are all of the controls again for your reference:

Shoot: 1, H, J, SHIFT LEFT, SHIFT RIGHT, NUMPAD1, NUMPAD4
Jump: SPACE, UP ARROW, W, G, K, NUMPAD0, NUMPAD5
Select: MOUSE
Pause/Retry: ESC
Mute: M

I looked at the controls in the game description before it started and thought "Shit, those are some really complicated series of key presses to pull off combos..." :D

Seriously though, there's a nice variety of upgrades and character types. In the end, I felt like for most of them I ended up hanging out in a corner and trying to snipe things as they came into view, plus jumping at appropriate times for some of them. Except the army ants when they called for a different strategy. And then I got my ass whopped by the queen and haven't figured out how to get past that level yet.

I thought I was sort of limited in what I could do, and that the jump wasn't as great of a means for evasion as I'd like, while I didn't really end up using the roar and hardly ever used the bombs except against the army ants. So it ended up being a lot of sitting in the corner and sniping for most of the levels. But maybe that's just 'cause I'm doing it wrong and should be roaring and bombing and doing other stuff more? If it really does give you an edge in the game to do all that stuff instead of mostly sniping then it's a really good game that I just haven't figured out how to play right yet; if it doesn't give you that much of an edge in battle then I'd say the game mechanics could be tweaked around.

velketor responds:

Thank you for playing 3p0ch! I appreciate your detailed constructive feedback.

A lot of players choose to hang out in the corners and snipe, which works for most waves if you are lucky enough with the spawns. The game play was designed so you learn how to defeat each enemy, with all of your knowledge culminating in 1 final epic battle versus the Queen and all of her minions combined.

Jumping works really well to avoid the flying kick of Mummy Ants, the lightning bolts of Electric Ants, to jump over Fire Ants, to avoid being trampled by the adult Dinosaur Ant, and to jump over the Queen's magical spell she shoots from her wand. Jumping also gives you a slight boost in speed, so if you jump a lot while running, you'll actually move much faster than if you were to just run.

The main purpose of bombs is to defeat the Army Ants, however, you can also use bombs to break open the statues for a 40% chance at a random drop. When you choose to blow up the statues is up to you. They are a kind of hidden Easter Egg that many players never realize until they start fighting the Army Ants.

Roaring works well against all enemies except ethereal Ghost Ants, Army Ants, Adult Dinosaur Ants and the Queen. It's designed to help you get out of tough situations where too many ants are surrounding you. It can also be used to break all of the eggs at the same time in the Dinosaur Ants wave.

I wouldn't say you were playing wrong though =) Everyone has their own strategy. I've seen people get obsessed with bombs, others never use bombs until the Army Ants, and some people choose to never purchase any upgrades other than Quivers, Keys, Bombs and Potions. I have my own personal strategy, but I won't share it here ;)

There are definitely tweaks that could be made, and your feedback is invaluable towards helping me fine tune the game going forward. Thank you again for the detailed feedback, 3p0ch!