Reviews for "very long dog"

Good to see Game Maker games here.

I didn't know you could restart the level by just pressing z I thought the dog was sleeping that's why there's a z.

Gostei, cheguei ao nível 23, parece que não acaba nunca

Wow, I'm impressed... I actually got addicted to the game and played the whole thing through without realizing. Wow!! :D

The gameplay is very simple and I've seen this sort of puzzle many times before, yet I still think they're really fun to play :^)
Also, while playing the game I didn't think that much about it, but it was at the end when I realized just how weird the plot of the game is xD A puppy... with no real bones. That's perhaps why it was chasing the bones in the first place xxD

Anyways, fantastic job on this game! It feels polished and is definitely playable ( considering I beat it and had fun ). Keep up! ;)

cccmccc responds:

!! thank you so much for your response! I didn't realise the irony either, but now that you bring it up it's pretty funny XD i'm very glad you enjoyed it :')

Congrats on the delightful mood, music and art! For what it's worth, I don't think move counts make for especially interesting puzzles, as they lean more towards trial-and-error than logic.It leads to puzzle design where the challenge is less about how to get all the bones and more about how to contort yourself pointlessly between collecting bones to make sure you can hit the move count.

It's doubly frustrating in your implementation because there's no step-by-step undo or ability to backtrack your dog, which forces you to start the whole level over once you realise an early failure to adequately contort yourself will make hitting the move count impossible. Which introduces another frustrating puzzle element: memorising your solution.

Maybe it's just me, but if you're making movement-based puzzles, it's a lot more rewarding to figure out what the unexpected quirks of the system are and then design puzzles that teach and probe those. For instance, Jack Kutilek's Snake Hole is built around a similar idea to very long dog, but approaches the design very differently:

(It's made with Stephen Lavelle's Puzzlescript engine, which is an amazing resource if you want to concentrate on the design aspect, as it lets you rapidly prototype puzzle games.)

Keep it up! Look forward to your future games :)

cccmccc responds:

This is a very eloquent response, thank you! I'll definitely take your words to heart, thank you for taking the time to write this. ^^