Reviews for "Delver"

EDIT:
I decided to give this game another go.

On my first play, I rushed it thinking the top bar on the screen was a timer that you needed to refuel every few seconds and I didn't know it was actually for how many steps you could take before you blew up.
Realizing that this game takes its resource management to another level, I changed my play style accordingly. And I hate to admit...I started to enjoy it.

I have yet to beat the game, but I do have an incentive to keep playing now that I better understand its mechanics.

But, there are still a few gripes I have with it in terms of design.
Like neither of the bars having any icons that tell you what they do.
And although there ARE some sound effects in the game, they're barely noticeable.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OLD REVIEW:
Needs a bit of work.

The goal of the game isn't all that captivating since the game feels very slippery. I also think you might motivate more players to keep playing the game if you give them an end goal like collecting X amount of money/gems or have them try to get a super ore of sorts.

I don't think you're gonna get much players engaged if the only thing there is to do in the game is upgrade the drill...when there's no real reason to.

I also feel like your drilling should have a bit of resistance or friction to it. It would add a lot more to the game, instead of having you go through every block like it was butter.

Some sound effects for drilling into different kinds of rock and acquiring ore would also have benefited the game.

There's also a few bugs I came across like being stuck in the upgrade station at times, and not being able to move anywhere else but up and left. Which can be a pain when trying to get back to the refuel station on low fuel levels.

I could see this game being a nice time waster when you want to play something simple and short. But the flaws I mentioned really take a lot out of the enjoyment I could have had with game.

Template88 responds:

Try reaching the center of the planet and seeing whats there waiting for you

This game looks like a raw game engine enveloped with a minimal interface allowing to actually play it. Good things are, it runs smoothly (although controls could be more fluent), the map is well generated with fair balance between resources and obstacles. The gameboy look is a matter of taste; it looks fairly well and is nicely animated. On the other hand - there are harsh rules (you run out of fuel->restart), no info about resource value; one has to try himself selling single pieces. Also the shop is implemented halfbaked - if one picks a better upgrade first and then something cheaper, he experiences a downgrade to that cheaper option (and after purchase the better is locked; sorry)... it's a fairly good start, although there is a long way before You to create some *really* considerable games. I'll look forward to see how You'll improve and what more will You create. Good luck!

What is this? Oversimplified Motherload??

Template88 responds:

Read the description.

Meh. There's a bunch of these games out there, and this one is uglier and shallower than most

Instead of a fun game about using my cool mining machine to clear a map and get a sense of progression, I get... this. An homage to several great 2D delving games that isn't as good as any of them. A week isn't a long time to make a game, granted, but naked hostility to anyone who doesn't seem to enjoy the game in the comments here isn't going to produce many fans either. Despite what the description insists, it's not merely "fast-paced", particularly in how your fuel depletes (on each movement, not on time) and the pace comes to a screeching halt every time one has to stop and push back up to the surface to get more fuel less than ten seconds after they were just there.

Instead of this game producing the feeling of accomplishment it's more like the feeling of being strong-armed by the mafia. Your starting fuel is so pitifully low that you can't do anything but dig directly beneath your starting zone just to stay alive long enough to buy that first upgrade. And be careful; as hawk18727 mentions below, anything past the first one or two ore capacity upgrades are a waste, as is the first two fuel upgrades (and technically all of them once you can afford the last upgrade; they're not cumulative). Survive long enough to get to a level 3 fuel upgrade first. That's how I finally beat the game. And of course, there's this exchange that I seemed to have every time I went to fuel up: "hey, I need fuel to live. How much is fuel today?" "...how much ya got? >:)"

I won't pretend that I had any idea what the bottom bar was or even that it was there at first. There was no indication that it was a "health bar" besides the single mention in the description that there was one, and considering that you instantly die if your fuel runs out I assumed that functioned as your health gauge at first. Only by constantly tapping the button as you descend down a shaft can you possibly hope to avoid what could quickly be fatal damage. A simple cross shape on it of a slightly different grey would have sufficed to make it clearer.

The music was well-chosen, especially Portal Hoppin'. Gives a great sense of pumping industry and suits the Gameboy classic feel you were going for. I just wish I could honestly say I had more fun with the game that it's attached to.