Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Firestarter"

I liked the overall aesthetics, there is still room for a lot of improvement here

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks, sayomgwtf did a great job with the art. We are hoping to add some things to make it even more fun so stay tuned.

Very cool adaptation of the game from the show! Feels cool to finally play it. You did well capturing the melancholic nature of it. Though movement feels a bit odd, and wait times between city growth is a little awkward, I found myself going through repeat plays due to the almost puzzle like nature of finding city clusters to build up and burn down while respecting the ratio of the population.

Really interesting stuff, plus you managed to keep it pretty simple and intuitive, awesome work!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks! It mostly came from the design in the show which we thought was a good description and it actually turned into a good game.

Simplicity and wonderful tribute.

Thanks!

A pretty cool depiction of the game from the anime. I almost got up to 20,000 points, but the perspective finally got me in the game. I couldn't tell what buildings were connected and which ones weren't, so what I thought was a chain of buildings was only a couple of buildings dotted about.
It would be nice if there were keyboard controls to move the character and to set fire to a building, rather than clicking.
It took me a couple of tries to realize that the map was endless, so I lost my first game thinking I was okay, before seeing the icon in the top left letting me know the status of the city.
I think the cops should spawn a little more frequently as well, since it seemed I was able to go a few minutes at a time before seeing a cop.
Also, I am curious. Does something happen if you do get a score of 30,000, or is that a reference to a line in the anime?
Either way, good job with this game! I honestly feel like it should have been here on Newgrounds a long time ago.
Good job developers!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks for playing! The map is finite but it loops around when you hit the edges. We might want to make some kind of an arrow for center of mass of the city or some kind of indicator saying how big a chunk is. Another idea is to make it so that burns have a maximum size.

The cops have a 1 in 40 chance of spawning for each burn but that might be tweakable.

If you gt 30,000 there is a little easter egg and a medal.

The medals that required a certain score to obtain were harder to get than I thought! You gotta make sure you don't burn a bunch of buildings that are linked together if the population percentage isn't very high. That'll end your game real quick.

This was unexpectedly a bit challenging and I liked it! Good job!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks so much, it took a bunch of tweaking to get the balance right.