Reviews for "Firestarter"

I liked the overall aesthetics, there is still room for a lot of improvement here

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks, sayomgwtf did a great job with the art. We are hoping to add some things to make it even more fun so stay tuned.

@kvenom: This is ripped directly from the FLCL episode Firestarter, including the graphics.

A description of the game straight from the show:
You are an agent of Cantide, the god of the black flame, and you must stop Endsville from destroying the world.
Your only weapon is flame: matches, lighters, and fire-bombs.
Get the weapons, outsmart the firefighters, hide from the police, torch the city, and purge its demons.
But you must be careful; you cannot burn everything.
If the entire city burns down, there will be no place to live.
Thus, the battle is hopeless: there is no final victory.
The only thing you can do is burn and burn and burn.
Your highest goal is to receive the personal blessing of Cantide, the god of the black flame.

The game is light on interaction, and I don't understand what triggers the police and what doesn't. Some better in-game feedback and scaling from simple to more complex would be useful.

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks! The police have a random chance of spawning whenever you burn something. I'm getting a lot of feedback about the randomness so I might mess with that in later versions.

Very cool adaptation of the game from the show! Feels cool to finally play it. You did well capturing the melancholic nature of it. Though movement feels a bit odd, and wait times between city growth is a little awkward, I found myself going through repeat plays due to the almost puzzle like nature of finding city clusters to build up and burn down while respecting the ratio of the population.

Really interesting stuff, plus you managed to keep it pretty simple and intuitive, awesome work!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks! It mostly came from the design in the show which we thought was a good description and it actually turned into a good game.

Surprised it was made into an actual game... Knowing the source material you did a great job. Working in those constraints some suggestions: keyboard controls (maybe arrows to move around the map? or a way to scroll and see it better, maybe a zoom out), difficulty settings, and skin options (game esk idea but make it look like the hand held in the anime?)

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks for the ideas, we like to revisit projects so maybe someday we'll do a bigger version. We'd love to work with the Adult Swim people some day, but maybe that is just a pipe dream!

I remember watching flcl on adult swim when I was a kid and saw this little game in the show but never thought anything of it.
It's real neat to be able to kinda actually play it.
Good job, short and sweet for a little game we know practically nothing about.

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks! The description was so good we had to fill in the blanks.