Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Firestarter"

GJ! I didn't think much about it at first but I find out that it's a really original and well designed. The medals add more challenge/goals and made me discover the game better.
Now where is Takkun??? Is that supposed to be a cat like on the medal?

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks! Takkun is Mamimi's derpy lil cat and he appears in the game if you play your cards right. No one has figured it out yet though.

Okay I'm cool with this game, god when i was playing i was getting flash backs of staying up late watching toonami and seeing FLCL for the first time think it was the one when the kid had cat ears and was pick to be the cat for some play. Either way, thank ya kindly for giving some nice nostalgia.

SilverwareGames responds:

Ninamori: "The king's ear's are really donkey's ears!"

According to the director they wanted to give Naota cat ears so fans would think he's cute. Interesting easter egg: there is a cat in our version of Firestarter and so far no one has mentioned it! Thanks for playing.

@kvenom: This is ripped directly from the FLCL episode Firestarter, including the graphics.

A description of the game straight from the show:
You are an agent of Cantide, the god of the black flame, and you must stop Endsville from destroying the world.
Your only weapon is flame: matches, lighters, and fire-bombs.
Get the weapons, outsmart the firefighters, hide from the police, torch the city, and purge its demons.
But you must be careful; you cannot burn everything.
If the entire city burns down, there will be no place to live.
Thus, the battle is hopeless: there is no final victory.
The only thing you can do is burn and burn and burn.
Your highest goal is to receive the personal blessing of Cantide, the god of the black flame.

The game is light on interaction, and I don't understand what triggers the police and what doesn't. Some better in-game feedback and scaling from simple to more complex would be useful.

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks! The police have a random chance of spawning whenever you burn something. I'm getting a lot of feedback about the randomness so I might mess with that in later versions.

A pretty cool depiction of the game from the anime. I almost got up to 20,000 points, but the perspective finally got me in the game. I couldn't tell what buildings were connected and which ones weren't, so what I thought was a chain of buildings was only a couple of buildings dotted about.
It would be nice if there were keyboard controls to move the character and to set fire to a building, rather than clicking.
It took me a couple of tries to realize that the map was endless, so I lost my first game thinking I was okay, before seeing the icon in the top left letting me know the status of the city.
I think the cops should spawn a little more frequently as well, since it seemed I was able to go a few minutes at a time before seeing a cop.
Also, I am curious. Does something happen if you do get a score of 30,000, or is that a reference to a line in the anime?
Either way, good job with this game! I honestly feel like it should have been here on Newgrounds a long time ago.
Good job developers!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks for playing! The map is finite but it loops around when you hit the edges. We might want to make some kind of an arrow for center of mass of the city or some kind of indicator saying how big a chunk is. Another idea is to make it so that burns have a maximum size.

The cops have a 1 in 40 chance of spawning for each burn but that might be tweakable.

If you gt 30,000 there is a little easter egg and a medal.

The medals that required a certain score to obtain were harder to get than I thought! You gotta make sure you don't burn a bunch of buildings that are linked together if the population percentage isn't very high. That'll end your game real quick.

This was unexpectedly a bit challenging and I liked it! Good job!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks so much, it took a bunch of tweaking to get the balance right.