For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 43 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "Firestarter"

Extremely basic and repetitive mechanics.
No real objective in this game.
Not fun.

SilverwareGames responds:

This was meant as a FLCL homage so we focused on the source material and tried to create a game like tetris that was addictive and about getting a high score. We understand it's not for everyone. Thanks for playing.

well this was fun, if rather difficult. I kept being surrounded by only small patches of buildings as the population was getting very high, and not being fast enough to counter it in time. Not helped by me being unable to really get the hang of the way it "snaps" to tiles rather than being a smooth transition.
The only thing I could say felt kind of unfair was when the building would connect far beyond what was on screen, a few times I went from 90+% all the way down to zero just clicking on one of those swathes of buildings.
This game was a nice reminder of FLCL and how much I enjoyed that show. (and I must admit I lost more than a few games trying to look for Takkun in case he was in that part of the game.)

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks for playing! We might tweak it so there is a maximum burn size to prevent a giant burn like that. Takkun is not in the actual city per se...

The medals that required a certain score to obtain were harder to get than I thought! You gotta make sure you don't burn a bunch of buildings that are linked together if the population percentage isn't very high. That'll end your game real quick.

This was unexpectedly a bit challenging and I liked it! Good job!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks so much, it took a bunch of tweaking to get the balance right.

A pretty cool depiction of the game from the anime. I almost got up to 20,000 points, but the perspective finally got me in the game. I couldn't tell what buildings were connected and which ones weren't, so what I thought was a chain of buildings was only a couple of buildings dotted about.
It would be nice if there were keyboard controls to move the character and to set fire to a building, rather than clicking.
It took me a couple of tries to realize that the map was endless, so I lost my first game thinking I was okay, before seeing the icon in the top left letting me know the status of the city.
I think the cops should spawn a little more frequently as well, since it seemed I was able to go a few minutes at a time before seeing a cop.
Also, I am curious. Does something happen if you do get a score of 30,000, or is that a reference to a line in the anime?
Either way, good job with this game! I honestly feel like it should have been here on Newgrounds a long time ago.
Good job developers!

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks for playing! The map is finite but it loops around when you hit the edges. We might want to make some kind of an arrow for center of mass of the city or some kind of indicator saying how big a chunk is. Another idea is to make it so that burns have a maximum size.

The cops have a 1 in 40 chance of spawning for each burn but that might be tweakable.

If you gt 30,000 there is a little easter egg and a medal.

Liked the game really brought me back to when i used to wanna play this game while watching FLCL for the first time, awesome job keeping it bare bones and close to the original idea behind the game.

SilverwareGames responds:

Thanks. Its hard to make something that isn't overwhelming and confusing, for me at least I find it tough, so I'm glad we made something simple.