Reviews for "A Hat on Time"

I liked the concept... I actually finished the game on my first run. Low replayability? Also, I would think that the controls can be improved.

platformalist responds:

Hi chaotive! I was aiming for the replayability to be based in running the game again for a better high score, but you’re probably right that it could use something a little more! When I make another platformer down the road, I’ll be sure to consider that factor! Thanks for playing, and for the honest feedback!

Definitely promising. Neat little mechanics and ideas.

platformalist responds:

Hi Jedbird! Thanks for playing, I really appreciate it! :)

Controls are okay, though jumping is a little sticky. Level design's...fine, I guess?

My main issue is that the hitboxes of the dark clouds are quite inconsistent with their appearances. Since they're the primary hazard for 95% of the game (the only other notable one being the owls), that makes the game feel really cheap. When the best thing about A Hat In Time is how fair the gameplay feels, missing that part entirely is quite unfortunate. I know, I know: only the center of the dark clouds actually hurts you. But that's not clear at all from how they look (for example, why are they pulsing when their apparently changing size has no effect on their hurtboxes?!), and it makes for some really awkward-looking gameplay. Example: dropboxDOTcom/s/she35ynsp5smsnc/AHoT%20ssDOTpng

The second best thing about A Hat In Time is the humor, though, and you're on point with that. ^_^

platformalist responds:

Thanks for the thoughtful response, ultimatum479!

You're right about the cloud hitboxes. Since I needed to have so many running on the screen at once, I was a little hesitant to use trig to determine their circular hitboxes one-by-one, since that much trig could potentially lag a PICO-8 cart, so I used the map tiles as killboxes instead.

If you noticed, the owl hitboxes are much better! :P That's because I was calculating their hitboxes based on behavior and the visible object, instead of the cheaper method I used for the clouds. Again, you're right about it, and I'm sorry that it detracted from your experience! Either way, I'm glad that you enjoyed the humor of it, and thanks for playing! :)

Great platformer the only things that it needs is the small blocks make you slide of the sides but what it really needs is WASD controls.

platformalist responds:

HI itchyunicorn666! I agree, WASD controls would be nice. I don't believe those are possible in PICO-8 at this time, but maybe I'll poke around and see if that's something I can do for my next game! Thanks so much for playing, I really appreciate it!

That felt great to play! Keep up the good work man.

platformalist responds:

Hi doggenhausen! Thanks for playing, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :)