Reviews for "A Hat on Time"

I loved this one, that last part took me almost 10 tries, nice work!

platformalist responds:

Hi MewArts! :) Good job on the last screen, it's a tricky one! Thanks so much for playing! :)

I never experienced delayed jumps in this game, but that might be just me. I don't usually like platformers; they piss me off easily. Having said that, the later levels in this game felt *good* once I'd gotten the hang of it. I found that some one-block platforms had smaller hitboxes that you'd think, but that was easily fixable. I dig it.

platformalist responds:

Hi Firelion348! Thanks for playing! :)

Some of the map tiles don't read 100% accurately because the player's hitbox is detected based on their horizontal direction - so it's sometimes a little too easy to clip through the corner of an object when you're moving an unexpected direction. Hopefully in future games I'll be able to completely nail down collisions - they're notoriously difficult to master! Thanks so much for the feedback, I appreciate it! :)

pretty cool, reminds me of castlevania design where the most obvious path at first glance is constantly bombarded. the mechanics are also cool but i havent played a hat in time so i dont know how much of that was original, great demake either way. also what other people saying about the jumps are sticky just sounds like it doesn't really mean anything, the mechanics are cool and done well which is most important.

Hi WorthlessProtoplasm!

The behavior of the hookshot is quite different than A Hat in Time, tbh. Their hookshot is a grab-and-swing mechanic, while mine is more of a latch-and-pull. They also use balloons for fancy jumps, and birds with danger-vision zones. So yeah, a lot of it pays homage to the original game, but it's implemented differently because, well, theirs is a 3D commercial release, and mine is a lil 2D jam game! :)

I'm glad you had a good time with it, and thanks for the feedback! :)

well, is not bad. I dont liked the music too much and the character design. But Its ok to play :)

platformalist responds:

Thanks for playing, IDeactive! :)

I agree with ultimatum about jumping being sticky. I got the feeling that jumps were delayed a little bit -- at first I would hit jump as I was nearing the end of a platform and I would just walk off and die before the jump happened, so eventually I sort of trained myself to hit jump earlier than I thought I needed to. But it definitely felt "off" the whole time. But aside from that, the game was pretty cool.

platformalist responds:

Hi 3p0ch! Thanks for playing, I really appreciate it! Yeah, a few people have mentioned the controls being a bit sticky - it might help in future games if I can nail the one-frame of leniency when it comes to tricky jumps - still allowing the player to jump for just a moment after walking off the edge. I’ll remember that for my next platformer! Thanks again for playing, and for the feedback!