Reviews for "Mayya Malyshka"

You really managed to capture "something greater" through this piece. Part of the reason for why I love your music, is because I always feel that there is a lot of thought behind pretty much every piece. Pleasant music can be nice on its own, but it's even better if I feel it is accompanied by ideas and emotions. Naturally, I also like the fact that you simply tend to create really nice sounding stuff :p

I like the chords you used here, and the fact that the focus lies more on the atmosphere and on only a few sounds at once, as opposed to a clear melody. Like, there are always things going on in the background, but the focus is occasionally on the incredibly powerful vocals, on the recordings, or the slight shifts in chords and patterns. The piano and bass I feel are really nicely incorporated into this track as well.

Another great thing is the sense of continuity; even if there's a feeling of progress, with the constantly evolving track, the added instruments and so forth, the theme feels connected throughout. Let me throw it out there that the vocalists and your Guitalele playing friend did awesome jobs! They added a lot to the composition :)

I think you managed to produce this quite well too! I don't really have any complaints at this point, in the very least. I suspect I'll find myself listening to this piece quite a lot the coming weeks. Thanks a lot for sharing your music with us!

I'm also happy too see that you seem to be back to composing ^ ^
TL;DR:

Great job, awesome track ;)

Phonometrologist responds:

A TL;DR on a review? Who wouldn't take the time to read what another has said on their piece?
I really appreciate your feedback. I wish I was back to more composing, but this was just really thrown together by mere inspiration as opposed to practice and discipline. You mentioned the Guitalele parts adding a lot to the composition, and I want to even further add that it wouldn't be near the same piece without it. To me it's more philosophical in its usage as that is what makes the piece personal amid a piece that can sound too synthetic and cold. Having the synths fused together with something not electric, and having a quiet/modest sound, landing the plane of the song to its ending reminds me of a person at home in their bedroom daydreaming. With all the journeys we may partake in in this life, there's nothing quite like being at home. An old Indian friend of mine once asked me what life would be described as by using just one word. I wasn't sure at the time, but he himself used the word "vacation." I think about how one might plan a trip: we have an idea what we want to do, and sometimes it doesn't always work out as we originally have planned. But the point is, as we do go off in our own little adventure (hopefully a pleasant one), in the end, we must go back home.

I am very, very honored to be among the 154 fans (at the moment) to listen to this. It's been awhile since I've visited NG. Such an honor to hear a piece of art that is not genre-boxed and categorized and simply seeks to speak to my soul. These are one of those pieces; with a clear crescendo into a climax, with a musical denouement...it tells a story and drops you at the fork's end, waiting for the audience's response. It's music like this that makes me animate the way I do, and paint the way I paint. Without boundaries and borders and labels, and to stay true to yourself, reflect how important you are, how just 1 man can make the difference. Hands down, you are indeed one out of a handful of amazing artists which keeps me coming back for more, because you are having a conversation through your art, and as an artist, it's our responsibility to respond back with art that strikes just as colloquial. This is an amazing piece of art.

Phonometrologist responds:

And you honor me with your words. I'm just grateful that there are few that enjoy some of the inner workings of my heart and mind. Your kind words have lead my thoughts to the following quote that I remembered reading some time ago:
“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”-Toni Morrison
I hope you take what you said about staying true to yourself to heart. When it comes to animating and painting, go without trying to label yourself for that has always been the job of the admirer in retrospect. However, don't just take that approach in art, but also when you get up in the morning. I think it's interesting that if anyone wants to connect and convey a message to anyone, one must first be honest with themselves. Seems kind of obvious to read that at first, but if one gave it more thought, to write for yourself in order to reach others more deeply and meaningfully isn't quite as transparent as one would think.

It can be a bit more rare nowadays to come across those who create with profound things in mind. I really like this! :) Your songs are refreshing, not just for the brilliance in sound, but the foundation of intelligent thoughts they stem from. I have you bookmarked now so I can keep hearing your wonderful works in future.^^

Phonometrologist responds:

That is very kind of you to share these words. In regards to the "foundation" of thoughts and the music, there shouldn't be a difference between the two. Music is an eloquent speech, and if all music had meaning to convey to the listener, then there wouldn't be a dull moment.

I like the spacious arpeggios and strings. It has a very dreamy and atmospheric vibe. The vocal samples contribute to the mood a lot, too. By around :40, I love the victorious mood, simultaneously injected with child-like wonder. I love the female vocals at around the 2-minute mark. They display such a raw sense of uplift and empowerment. Your pieces have a strong sense of continuity, yet are full of variety, and this is no exception. The strummed strings at 3:35 (and other places, I believe) are a nice touch as well. The coda was a little drawn out, but also fittingly delicate and majestic. Very dreamy, unique, and imaginative piece, my friend. Do yourself a favor and have an excellent new year. :)

Phonometrologist responds:

Than you my friend. I appreciate you letting me know your thoughts on it. I don't know what to say. It's been a while since I've written this, and so hearing it over, I hear many flaws still.
I'm contemplating your statement, "strong sense of continuity, yet are full of variety."
For which I think of now: 'tis are the days we live in.

Amazing, simply divine. :)

I've also recognized some of the vocals to be Russian, so that was an interesting touch. It was a very progressive track that I got lost in thought with, I was literally staring at my screen while listening to it, it had no quirks, or sudden jumps, everything molded seamlessly into each other. A brilliant piece of musical art.

Phonometrologist responds:

Thanks for leaving a review/comment. I appreciate it. Good catch on the Russian… didn’t think anyone would recognize it here. This piece always felt like a dream to me.