Reviews for "Conjugate"

Nice idea, good music, it has potential, needs a better explanation on what to do and it would be nice if you could improve how the objects interact

1f1n1ty responds:

hey thanks for the feedback!

i tried to telegraph all the concepts as best i could, i wonder if you could clarify exactly what was unclear for you so i can do it better next time. i haven't taken any courses in psychology or whatever so maybe i don't really know anything :/

also, yes, hitboxes, turns out getting them right is a lot more complex than i originally thought. need to figure those out next time.

strange that a two-colour game feels so vibrant. i really love the transition between the two fields as well. not sure i like how you're just thrown into the game with little explanation, even though the player should be able to pick up on what you're supposed to do pretty quickly, so it doesn't hurt too much. it's pretty much straight up arcade, with very little breathing room spared for each new "talent" learned, but that just keeps the pace going and speeding right along.

i do have to say the difficulty does, on occasion, get ramped up from stimulating, provocative, and challenging (what might qualify as "fun") to what amounts to demanding, frustrating, and (translated, "no fun"). there's also the strange matter of the anti-Z sign near the end of the lava stages: it's senseless and confusing. i am surprised by the lack of a level select / save feature for those of us that don't want to try to mop up all the levels in one go. that'd be a pretty long sitting, don'cha think?

lastly, i think the music is awesome. it's perfect for the game. honestly, it sounds like something out of a Mega Man X game. (i know it isn't actually, you know what i mean.) but the tension is just right given the platforming involved. that doesn't mean, however, that it's a great idea to use it for the entirety of the game, particularly one that could take so long. either give the game some extra tunes or i just gotta mute all PC sound, because there is no mute button for the music or in general. i'm just thankful that the game lost focus when i clicked out of window. i don't remember that being a regular feature of Unity games, but if it is, i'm almost glad it's a Unity game this time... (nope, Unity still sucks). ofc, that goes back to the whole progress function again anyway: if it had it, it might not even matter. just something to think about.

1f1n1ty responds:

hey blastvortex! thanks for the thoughts.

on difficulty: we tested the game with a few different people - some spent twenty minutes on the game, some spent forty. no one had really told us that the difficulty was unmanageable, though, just that it was a bit too much for some of them. i think in the future having more testers would help this issue.

anti-Z sign: i'm curious in what way you thought it was senseless and confusing. i put it there because it's the first level where you're intended to switch out of fire mode, so as to give the player a little nudge to realize that.

no save feature: i wish i knew how to save cookies on browsers from a unity game :/ that's something to learn

music gets worn out: that makes sense. this probably comes as a consequence of you spending more time than average beating the game, which is fine.

mute button: this is a great idea, should've thought of that...

First of all, I enjoyed this game, it is fun to play and to try to complete. But, there is some things that I think it would better to change/add.
Something I did not see anyone comment yet, its the fact that the hitbox its a little too big, or that the trail isn't followed as it should; the hitbox of the character its the same size as the character itself, which it shouldn't be so bad, unless it is a geometry dash-like game. Offering the player short time to figure what's going on, or having a bad perspective of the character in the black background and it gets worse with the effects (Fire/Aqua).
Even though the game it's self explanatory, some things aren't as obvious as it should, like the fire jump, but that one isn't so bad.
There's no pause. Sometimes, clicking away makes the game stop, but not always, and you can't manualy change the volume or turn off and on the music.
And the music it is repetitive after more than 10 minutes listening to it and the fact that you have no control over it its mildly infiurating.
There's a level that I got stuck and I cannot move forward anymore (Because I can't complete it) and I don't know what to do anymore. And without any level name or number, you can't know which one was, or at the end, the player can't know how much progress made (Isn't a obligatory thing, but it gives a satisfactory feeling)
A thing it should have at least its a "Back to menu" button, because, even after many levels, if someone may want to see the credits, it will not be possible unless he/she restart the game, making it loose all the progress.
Anything else than that, I think the game its very fun and altough it can make use of the side-scrolling to maybe tell a story, or even an journey.
But here, the journey its what we advance, what we achieve and what we can make reality and how far we can go. And I like that concept.

hey man! thanks for the thoughts and constructive criticism, i appreciate it <3

yes yes yes all the stuff like muting music, back to menu buttons, level select, pause screen, options menu, level numbers, i need to figure out how those work and actually make them happen because they are important

hitboxes have been mentioned before, turns out making hitboxes exactly where the player is is not the way to go in platformers. did you know that most platformers still allow you to jump from a ledge for a few frames after you've already dropped off of it? it's called coyote time apparently, i didn't know that. things are more complicated than i thought

It's okay, I guess.