Reviews for "Prison of the Clairvoyant"

Very interesting concept and story. The animation and art are great, and the setting is really interesting. The music is good and adds a lot to the experience. Like I said, the setting and the way it's explored, as islands in a sea of nothingness is really interesting. My best theory is that the whole thing is some sort of groundhog day looping dream prison, as indicated by the title. Perhaps even memories are involved. I'm not a huge fan of the ending, because I don't really like the whole "creepy symbol with loud noise" jumpscare thing. I think it would have been better if you either ended it with that fade out you used and then cut straight to the screaming image and had the sound be like it was right before the stickman drawing, all choppy and stuff, but not super loud and in your face. Maybe it could have ramped up, but not like this. I like how in the ending the green thingy turned out to be evil, and that sorta let all the built up tense undertones out. The first time I watched it, I had no idea that the bite itself was bad, but then again, the first time I watched it, I wasn't paying that much attention. Maybe you could have made that a slight bit clearer though, because I'm still not completely sure that's what happened. Your description makes me hope that we'll see more of this story.

KarlSia responds:

Great review! Very interesting theory, and you're hitting it pretty close with your mention of memories. I agree, I could've made things a bit more clearer. Allow me to explain a little; It wasn't my intention for it to be a jump scare, honestly I wasn't even thinking of that word during production, I was just thinking of something to represent the horror and bombardment of the 5 senses the girl will experience if she ever falls asleep, which she desperately avoids, hence the theme of Bad Dream. And its not a creepy symbol, its a stickman thats then turned upside down. Its pretty much the fastest thing I can think of when I have a few hours left before the deadline lol (iTs aRt *sarcasm*). Cut to the girl upside down, and its like saying that she's been thrown into something backwards during her sleep. Into pain, into anguish, that sort of concept. Originally was supposed to animate her waking up all jittery before eventually having a break down after she realized what just happened, but I didn't have the time. But I suppose it can be more interesting this way, considering. And to add a little, I'm not saying whether the green fox is evil or not, but you're on the right track with your suspicions.

Really beautiful work!

That one walking clip was used too many times. The rest was too simple to make it feel like an animation rather than a picture book. The audio was totally out of balance and I had to turn it all the way down at the end because it hurt my ears. 3 stars for trying to be different and while that's good, the rest simply wasn't compelling enough for me.

the animation was really nice put the plot was pretty bleak and generic and something that's been done way to many times at this point

I dunno. I don't see the appeal of this at all. Animation is honestly pretty basic looking to me.
Reminds me of a lot of anime...slow, not a whole lot happening. Sure it's not like it's BAD, but I still don't see the huge appeal this is getting based on that. The art itself is top-notch though.
Personally I find the destroyed world theme kinda empty too, even if it is apparently in her head. Pretty cool idea but it didn't really wow me too much either. Didn't enjoy the audio in this at all. Droning silence & sudden loud annoying grating crap. I know I'm in the minority here, but none of it really did anything for me. 2.5 for the artwork & obvious animation skill, I just don't think they were put to very good use.