Reviews for "Lost Temple"

Apparently the game doesn't save your progress if stop playing and come back later. Would it be possible to add this feature?

JeffreyDriver responds:

The game should be saving each time you reach a new level, but at the moment the game doesn't save your progress DURING a level, so if you quit halfway through a level, you'll need to start at the beginning of that level next time you come back.

However, I have been working on a system to save part completed levels.

I start in a room with yellow walls all around. 7 sad faces look down to me. Nothing i can really do than moving from left to right and jump a bit around. It looks like this "demo" is kind of just that room. Nice, you created a player and it looks like your collision system with the walls and faces works. But what do you want to show us with this?

JeffreyDriver responds:

Sorry about that. It's a bug. That room was just used for testing and shouldn't even be accessible, so I have no idea how that's happened. There is a full game here. Thanks for the feedback I'll get it fixed asap.

EDIT: The continue button is meant to only appear if there's a saved game found. When you start the game, you should walk right, not click continue. I'm working on a fix now.

EDIT: This should now be fixed.

It's a great concept for a game, I do love exploration games.

The 3rd level transition isn't very fair with the flying spike ball. Due to how the level transitions have a different type of camera type and are unable to react without losing momentum to jump over the spikes on the pillar.

Could use more sound FXs to help the game out, especially with the final boss; I couldn't tell the first time I hit him.

I had to reload because I've bricked myself on the stone blocks level, good thing you had a save feature.

JeffreyDriver responds:

Thanks for the feedback. You've made some good points. I'll look into making some tweaks and fixed

The game feels unique, despite not being original, and very retro, and while it has some ragequit moments, the challenges are good. It might feel confusing a little at first, but the gameplay feels intuitive. The game is short in a good way, because it doesn't get boring, albeit it does feel more like a teaser for something bigger. I think that this game will be frontpaged soon, and I do wonder if you get some daily prize.

There are some slight bugs, as when sometimes the hit-areas are a tad bit sensitive, and sometimes the player slips from a block to a lava if he doesn't stand "properly" on it, but it's all minor, not even worth deducting any points. So, as to what was bad? Hm.... hard to tell, because the game despite its simplicity feels polished. Maybe other users will be more helpful.

The final boss felt a little weird, as all I had to do was to drop one rock on him, and then I got transported to the next, final level. At first I thought that I died and got transported to previous level.

Hint for players: to get to some of the higher platforms you need to run, which is especially important in the first level, where there is this spot that you need to get to get the last crystal and finish the level. Experiment with running and jumping.

Also, if you press continue before starting the game, you'll go to a bonus room, albeit there isn't much to do there.

JeffreyDriver responds:

Thanks for your feedback, its been helpful. I'll tweak the collision shapes to try and stop the player sliding off blocks.

I'll look into the boss issue. You're meant to hit him with blocks three times and then the door should appear.

This is a lot longer than I was expecting for a "quite short" game. I'd say completion is worth 50 points if not 100. The difficulty takes a dramatic spike in the lead-up to the third level and the level itself.

The pixel aspect is done well, but the music is extremely repetitive to listen to for so long. The levels are well designed in my opinion, nothing too unfair. I did encounter a glitch in the portion after the third level: when I died at a certain point (I believe the room after the one where you have to jump over two spikes and a moving block) it seemed to get confused and spawn me at the next level, not sure if I missed anything. Another minor bug is that you jump when entering a door; it would look better if you didn't (even better if there's an animation for it).

A couple problems with the fourth level: before I figured out what the moveable blocks were for, there was one that I managed to push up against the entrance on the left side. I couldn't get it back out, and it's one that I needed to complete the level. I did enjoy the uniqueness of this level, though. Another potential issue is that I got to the top of the middle chamber, jumped while on the top platform, and it acted as if I entered the door and proceeded to the next level. I didn't think I had all the artifacts, and I definitely hadn't put them on the altars.

Overall, an enjoyable game. I think the atmosphere would be a little better with more varied sound (add some sound effects, for example). The controls are good and responsive. Mechanics are fun and work well. Well done.

JeffreyDriver responds:

Thanks for your useful comments. I've never added medals to a newgrounds game, and haven't earned many myself, so I wasn't sure what to put. However, I've gone and changed it to 50 points.

I haven't played the game through while the music was playing. Perhaps I'll have one music loop for the tunnels, and a second one for the caverns

I'll have a look at the bugs you've mentioned and try and get them sorted. Thanks again.