Reviews for "Wondrous Lands"

This is actually a pretty great game! I'm having tons of fun :D

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for your feedback!

Loving the game. Some points in specific I'd like, then I'll suggest some ideas for a sequel.

Point one: I love the combat system. Seeing your characters run around and fight is, while tiring, amazing to see what they can do. I've played this game for a long time and... not beaten it, I've made so many parties that I just love playing over. And over. And over. I'll maybe make a paladin to heal and attack and try new and inventive things (Favorite party members from all around the board would be an orc who has stealth and a doubleaxe who dominates the enemy by attacking them while hid, a southerner archer who dodges attacks and hides to basically be immune to all damage and an elf who started out as a rouge and turned into a preist using holy and chaos magic. But I don't reccomend using the elf. More on that later.)

Point 2: I. Am. LOVING the enviornment! The events, how it's built, everything! Only got one quarrel with it but that's not for here. Exploring this world is so fun and I just gotta say I am enjoying the hell out of it. Progressing the story is nice but hey, who needs that when you can mess around with townspeople and make a lil story of your own!

Point 3: Equipment is nice. I enjoy the different types of weaknesses you can use to exploit an enemy though usually I just check if they're risky to fight or not and not the actual weaknesses.

Few minor things: I love the customization, the religions and the quests. but I can't make a para about them. Sue me.

Now the complaints. But I'd like to phrase them more as ideas of improvement.

Point 1: I'd... like to see more variety. What this is is amazing. You can get a kingdom that's taken over by wizards ninjas or not taken over, you can get southerners and orcs, I've mostly only seen a bit so... maybe there's more? But something I'm not fond of is how... cookie cutter it seems. The kingdom will always be in the same place. The enviornments will always be in the same place. The quests will follow a guideline. Quests can stay but maybe make the enviornents come in different places and the kingdom in different places, different things happening for each place? Like if the kingdom's in that necromancy place it can just be normal overtaken by the undead or at war with necromancers, so on so on. And maybe the spawn point is the only "locked" area. I don't know, just an idea. Nothing major.

Point 2: Would like to be able to give the characters some direction. My elf mage did not prioritize hiding and he had no people on his team at the moment (just a human who I was giving a defense set and another human with an offense set) that could help him even remotely with defense. Meaning he just died. I'd like a little button that gives "favorite" skills they use alot, like healing, or maybe they'd heal if they couldn't attack or something.

Point 3: Cmon. orcs are the only monster class? CMON.

Oh and also the artstyle thing could be worked on but im p okay with it.

Overall consensus?

Make a sequel. If you added those things this would be a game I'd be willing to buy. With actual money. but like it might make the flash audience mad so don't do that maybe i dont know you guys do you

Thanks for reading this. Or for just scrolling to the end.

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for you feedback!

I agree that game would be better with full random map generation(for instance, you do not know where is castle and if it exists at all ect). Current map generation is compromise between our capabilities and perfection.

It is very interesting point about elf mage. I checked and hide has very high priority, but it activates only when hero sees enemies + there is some random to skip hide. Also to use stealth hero shouldn't have hard equipment or shield. I will check the composition, probably it is a bug.
Update: I fixed the issue with hide and published the update

Man, it's been a while since I've loved a newgrounds game this much! This game is absolutely wonderful and you guys are amazing

Thank you!

This is one of the most addictive games I've played on Newgrounds. It's one that found myself playing repeatedly out of a desire to get better at it to the point of where I've defeated the big boss character a few times in "hardcore" mode. The interface handles smoothly, and I'm hugely impressed with the intricacy of the designs and algorithms employed to make all the manifold variables and behaviors to work properly. It's also cool that it's never quite the same game each time. A lot of care and attention to detail was put into this project.

The combo of heroes I found most effective consisted of a warrior equipped with sword & shield, an arcane mage with leadership abilities and an archer who's also adept at law magic. I found it most advantageous to be a devotee of the Earth god, since I can get extra personnel in the form of a friendly animal to join the battles, if I keep the god happy, which isn't too tough to do. (Just don't fight friendly animals or the tiger in the jungle tournament--the Earth god will take away all the advantages bestowed, if you do.) Also, friendly animals will also let you have whatever's in the chests they're guarding, provided there's room to walk around them.

Overall, Wondrous Lands is an excellent way to pass the time while listening to podcasts. The authors have achieved that happy medium where the game is neither so simple that it induces boredom after a short while nor so complex that it induces exasperation. It's one of my all-time favorites on Newgrounds. Well done!

Thank you!

This is a great game!!!! I enjoyed it very much! Progression, skills and combat were great. I especially like how you included things like fear and dominion, it makes the combat a lot more realistic. Art and story were awesome as well. Keep up the good work devs!