Reviews for "Wondrous Lands"

Very good work!
About the mechanics, I really like rogue-like elements such as permadeath and random generation, I think they enhance the replayability factor.
About the graphic, I like your cartoonish stylized trait, I think it works well for this kind of game.
About the musics, honestly, I'm a little disappointed: don't take it wrong, the background music is good, but I was expecting some variations, expecially because your map is divided in 5 different environmental sectors, so it would have been nice to have at least 1 different theme for every sector. Probably it could be your next goal for improvement.
By the way, about the save files, I've followed your procedure to allow Flash to store up to 10MB, nevertheless I cannot find a way to continue my saved game: when I click on"save and exit" I come back to the title screen, but when I click on "play" it makes me choose the difficulty to start a new game instead of continue the saved one... there's something that escapes me about that? Where's the "continue saved game" option?
Good luck with your next works!

Edit: I've tried to discover score mechanics and I think I've found a "bug": by playing different matches and losing on purpose after reaching certain goals, writing down scores on a spreadsheet, I've found that 1 hero level is worth 40 points, 1 completed quest is worth 20 points, 1 treasure found is worth 1 point and 1 monster slain is worth 3 points (about bosses defeated is more difficult to tell: by defeating a weak boss I've calculated it's worth 17 points to be a boss + 3 points to be a monter slain, but data doesn't match when I've defeated stronger bosses and won the game, so I don't know if stronger bosses are worth much points or if I gained a special boost because of Vorag). Then there're multipliers, and it's here that my data seems to show a bug: the problem is that multiplying all points for the multipliers it returns the same amount returned by the game only if leaving "treasures found" points outside the multipliers factors. The question is: it's done on purpose, or the multipliers should multiply all points gained? I think it's the latter, so I hope you can fix it, even if it isn't something very important, plus I'm curious to know if I have done my calculations well.
Greetings!

Edit2: I've just verified that by beating Vorag you gain an extra hidden x2 multiplier, then now I'm sure that bosses defeated are worth 17 points for being bosses (+3 points for increasing monsters slain count). Nevertheless the multiplier bug I've found still emerges from my data, so the question in my previous edit still persists.

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for your feedback! We are working on a new game and I hope we will have more music variations and better overall quality.
If you have game save issues, there are 2 possible solutions:
1) Mozilla Firefox - settings - privacy - change to "Firefox will - remember history". It will allow to save game savings. You can use similar approach with other browsers.
2) Google Flash Global Privacy Settings panel - Global Storage Settings - Allow to store up to 10MB - reopen browser. It will not restore this corrupted save, but should help with the future savings.

Epic game. It would be nice if the save files actually worked though; I hate having to start over every time I close the tab.

Thank you!
If you have game save issues, there are 2 possible solutions:

This is one of the most addictive games I've played on Newgrounds. It's one that found myself playing repeatedly out of a desire to get better at it to the point of where I've defeated the big boss character a few times in "hardcore" mode. The interface handles smoothly, and I'm hugely impressed with the intricacy of the designs and algorithms employed to make all the manifold variables and behaviors to work properly. It's also cool that it's never quite the same game each time. A lot of care and attention to detail was put into this project.

The combo of heroes I found most effective consisted of a warrior equipped with sword & shield, an arcane mage with leadership abilities and an archer who's also adept at law magic. I found it most advantageous to be a devotee of the Earth god, since I can get extra personnel in the form of a friendly animal to join the battles, if I keep the god happy, which isn't too tough to do. (Just don't fight friendly animals or the tiger in the jungle tournament--the Earth god will take away all the advantages bestowed, if you do.) Also, friendly animals will also let you have whatever's in the chests they're guarding, provided there's room to walk around them.

Overall, Wondrous Lands is an excellent way to pass the time while listening to podcasts. The authors have achieved that happy medium where the game is neither so simple that it induces boredom after a short while nor so complex that it induces exasperation. It's one of my all-time favorites on Newgrounds. Well done!

Thank you!

Phew! Just finished the game on Normal after 14 tries or so... which goes to show how addicting, replayable and overall awesome it is. Kudos!
It does have a few small flaws. Sometimes heroes and monsters are hidden behind objects or each other so that I can hardly see what's going on (translucency would've dealt with that nicely). It happened to me a few times that a melee hero got stuck stuck behind some object and took a long time to get out of there and attack... although they did have some special ability to leap forward; and once, two of my heroes advanced to the left while the third was defeated by a charging monster to the right - and then I just emerged victorious... On another note, not really important for the gameplay but artifact names were sometimes unrelated to their bonuses, and I even got two completely different objects with the same name. The tips were good but it took me quite a while to figure out what mages can hold and still cast spells, and I'm not sure I got it right. Oh, and I know many games don't state the level cap in advance, but - why??
OTOH I'm impressed by the amount of randomization you've managed to put into this game; even though the map remains nearly the same, the quests are different and so are the monsters, making it much more interesting to replay (which I had to do a lot b/c losing all lives is irrecoverable). The graphics were simple and cute, but the effort put into them really shows - different equipment looks different, *including* on the heroes when they walk around and fight, spells have different visual effects (which on the down side are hard to recognize) and so on.

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for your feedback!

This is a very addicting game, and the randomness definitely adds to the replayability (if that's even a word). I also like the idea of following different gods and making different decisions based on whichever one you chose. However, I do have a few complaints. First of all, the undead god not letting you use holy magic makes healing near impossible, forcing you to solely rely on vampirism which is very difficult to get. Also, the lives system makes the game rather stressful, especially when you've fought all the easy enemies and keep dying to the more difficult ones, causing you to waste lives, and ultimately, your entire save file becomes useless. Personally, I think the game could be a lot better without the lives system (or at least have a better way to replenish lives rather than just a random chance), because losing against enemies gives you a chance to see what you're doing wrong and how you can potentially improve. Running out of lives makes the game tense and every death feels like a heavy toll on your entire save file. This is why I've never beaten the game on anything higher than Easy mode, which sucks because Vorag is a complete pushover in that mode. It could be that I'm doing something else wrong, but I can never find out what it is because I keep dying before I even get to level 8.

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for your feedback!