Reviews for "Wondrous Lands"

i like it very much because every time you try again the word is a bit diferent and the heroes too.
But I have to say the grafics make the atmosphere childlike and "unfinishedlike" so it could be better, but i also like the simplicity....

great game

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for your feedback!

Set the difficulty to "normal", played partway through the tutorial, read this part: "...if you run out of lives, you lose the game and your save file will be deleted!". If I'm not playing "hardcore" difficulty, why punish me with perma-death? Maybe this is a generic tutorial for ALL difficulty levels, but it made me not want to invest any more time in this. Looked like a decent enough game, though!

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for the feedback!
The game was designed with permanent death in mind and it's pretty much a core feature. This is why we've added so many monsters/abilities and randomness in general. If you start the game again it won't be the same. While failures are devastating, on the other hand victories feel more rewarding as well.

"Sometimes things are not going your way: the monsters are too strong, bad luck, or the heroes act like idiots."

Instantly sold on this like from the tutorial. 5/5.

DLord2 responds:

Thank you! I hope you will enjoy the game:)

Nice game, apparently a lot of depth to it.

My first observation is this is not a roguelike. Look up roguelikes, they're very different. In a roguelike you don't have a separate mode for combat. Everything in a roguelike, combat and motion, happens on the same turn-based grid. You don't have a party in a roguelike, it's just one guy. The only thing that makes this game at all similar to a roguelike is the permadeath (after your lives run out).

Other comment is that it would be nice if enemies of a given difficulty level were grouped together in an area, instead of mixed in with more difficult enemies. It's really annoying to have to wander all over the map doing just a little bit of each area at a time!

DLord2 responds:

Thank you for you feedback! Glad you're enjoing the game!

We're aware of originals of the genre, like NetHack, ADOM, Dungeon Crawl, etc (and one of us enjoyed these games a lot).
And to be fair this game isn't purely "roguelike". The preferable term here will be Roguelite. That means mixing roguelike elements (permadeath, randomness, replayability, more content than you can see in one play) with elements of the other genres (for example shooter or platformer). Our game is just one of those.

Regarding your suggestion, currently the skill game demands is picking your fights properly. So we tried to provide you a variety of enemies, no matter what level you are or what is your team composition. Also we wanted to give player a little bit more freedom in picking which part of the world he wants to explore currently.
We'll think how to make it less frustrating though.

Nice game. I like the concept and the execution. I can see this growing into something popular with better graphics. The story seems nice but I started playing an hour ago so I don't know much about it yet.

Thank you!
We did our best this game and we'll try to improve in the future.