Attention! We're rallying new Supporters to help us keep ads off Newgrounds!

Please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Purgatory Dreams - Theatre of Shadows"

Reminds me of the cut scene in Phatasmagoria and Shivers

Now that was pretty creepy! I remember the pixel nightmares of previous years, and this duology (?) seems to follow suit! Love how the atmosphere just builds and builds, with pixel perfect artwork and 9 bit music in back. A masterful, macabre, game-like nightmare (imagine if it was in Flash too, all those interactive elements could really be interactive) that leaves you feeling pretty... hollow! Usually when it gets too visual the nightmare element seems to leave, but somehow these are all an exception to that rule, maybe it's how there's always an element of the unknown remaining, you never truly go through the door and figure everything out, and the hopelessness keeps creeping in. Awesome work!

-cd-

ClockworkPixel responds:

thank you very much :) I'm very proud of this one and hope the next entry only improves!

Really good animation, I love pixel art.

It was a bit strange and shocking, but overall it was good. I liked the retro RPG style (I think I detected references to earthbound).

I wish you luck with this project! :)

ClockworkPixel responds:

That was one strange cartoon. Oh, and Happy Halloween! I was impressed by the visuals in this. It was so bizarre it was hard to keep up with. I guess that was a negative. Still, it was great to look at.

It was hard to tell if there was some deeper message. I guess it was just something scary. The audio seemed off in the beginning. I guess the atmosphere is nice. It's certainly creative.

ClockworkPixel responds:

I love retro animations on their own but this was an amazing horror-retro animation. Really good for getting into the spookiness of halloween.

thanks :)