Reviews for "MissileStorm"

Nice game!

My only suggestion would be to make pickups more visible because they're hard to see when you have 50 enemies on the screen ;)

Other than that, it's really cool and fun to play! Nice job! :D

I liked flying around and dodging bullets and blowing stuff up, missions that centered around that were great. Missions that involved mindless or suicidal or stationary NPCs who didn't really participate as much as serve as plot relevant props? Less fun, but I did like the mission where I had to keep the base safe simply for the challenge of running around from point to point trying to keep each new wave trying to kill ME instead of my allies. Also, I didn't really approve of being told to save everyone and even keeping every tower or every ship alive while only earning the same "Oh no everyone is dead" plot text.

It's a solid start for a game, and could be pretty good with some polish.

I'd recommend making the destruction animations smoother. The 'slow break apart then immediately disappear' is something every novice animator does, but it never really works out well. If you're set on not just having an explosion or group of explosion effects, do it procedurally - write a script that takes a group of 'part' sprites and has them move outwards from their origin point as they fade out. It'll look much smoother. You can even keep up performance by pre - generating a few animations for each enemy and just using them the same way you'd use spritesheets.

The missile effects should similarly be changed. I know you want to use hard animation and spritesheets, but it's hard as hell to get 8 directional missile guidance to feel 'right'. Just rotate an image programatically and use full 360 degree motion.

The final boss could be more complex. Right now, it's just pure luck. Either you get the right combination of powerups to survive as you rapidly press spacebar and try to move around the impenetrable cloud of ships to get a clear shot, or you just die. An ending after you kill it would be a big improvement as well. On a related note, you should be able to continue firing missiles by holding down the spacebar.

The upgrades aren't very exciting. I've never needed extra missile space - I either use them as soon as I get them(in a mission with 'factory ships') or not at all. That one could probably be changed to missile damage, missile guidance, number of missiles fired, etc. Similarly, the shield cap isn't really something that ever got in my way - I don't know why I'd waste points on raising it. Bullet damage was completely necessary, armor upgrades were helpful but a bit less noticeable, and the other two categories could just be ignored.

Also, if you want to add carriers to survival as you mentioned to the other dude, you could just have them retreat after X number of spawned ships.

Funkmachine responds:

Thanks for the feedback, this is great stuff. I plan to address boss fights for the next game by making them more about shooting the right spot and less about chance. upgrades will be dropped in place of different ship parts. I like the idea of pregenerated death sprites idea as well, I am a very novice animator, I will look into it. Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Seemed like a fun little game, but the medals don't work because of the same log-in issue that others have and that takes away a lot of enjoyment for me. Hopefully you can get this resolved...

I would like to submit a slightly modified assessment of the difficulty of the levels:

Levels 1-9 are very easy, as long as you've upgraded bullet strength and armor.
Level 10 is impossible, no matter what you do.