Reviews for "DEMON SLAYER - Preview"

Doublechindoge7 very nice. This would make a really good demon level. It kind of sounds like there is a battle going on. When I first saw it in the best audio list I thought that it was just a boring song put it was so much better than what I had expected! This is AWESOME!!!

Doublechindoge7 responds:

Wow, nice to hear that after the other reviews I've gotten... Thanks!

Wow. Just. Wow. This is amazing! One of the best dubstep songs I've ever heard!

Really? What? =O ... =D ... Ok, thanks! XD

This was harsh on the ears, to say the least. The first 15 seconds go well, the melody and drums are on point. After that, however, the addition of the basses over that not only drown out the drums, but also make it seem like it's transitioning between radio stations. If you're going to put basses over a melody, do so gently and gradually by highpassing it in.

As for the drop itself... it's both all over the place at the same time that it doesn't have any really interesting variation. The drums are entirely drowned out by everything going on, which is odd, because I'm pretty sure you were sidechaining already in the intro (tip for dubstep: Sidechain everything to the kick and the snare, those two things need to be the loudest thing in your mix).

Your main bass is what sounds like the result of an overenthusiastic discovery of FMing sine waves, and only sine waves. The key to making basses more interesting is harmonics, which did NOT happen in this. As for the rest of the basses, I can't pass judgement because I can't hear them.
Like at all.

Which brings me to my next point, for the love of ears everywhere, give everything a place in the mix and STOP just boosting volume and high frequencies to make things heard. There's so much clipping in this, to the point that it's hard to hear it because it's all at 0dB the entire time (I'd know, I opened Audacity and started a desktop audio recording and the drop is just a solid bar that peaks constantly). I did this myself when I started, and I didn't stop doing it for a while, but trust me, it makes everything sound that much better when you actually mix and master properly, even if you just attempt it. I'm almost positive this would have a solid 4 stars if everything could be heard, but it can't, which is why people are attacking the "randomness" of the drop.

In any case, there's a lot you need to work on. BUT, if you recall, the intro is well done, and actually catches my ear. When you finish this, if you aren't opposed to it, I'd like to have the stems to remix this, I've got a few ideas to implement.

Doublechindoge7 responds:

Had the demo of FLS so I couldn't save and it crashed and I forgot the notes. But I can tell you the scale, it was C# D# F G# A# and all of the classical instruments were made with DSK Overture. I'm trying to make this work with no budget and little to no knowledge on music theory. I've taken Music as my option but I'm only in Y9 so I don't know much. I've pretty much just taught myself everything I know and took a few tutorials so I hope that explains why this track turned out the way it did.

Clearly with the ratings this is getting this isn't good, I guess it's just lack of knowledge, I dunno; I don't feel it's a bad idea and I don't think the loops were bad. I don't really get how this turned out to be so hated. BTW I actually tried sidechaining my kicks and snares because it sounded effective, but the effects of the channels I was sidechaining them to were being applied to them as if I had linked the channels instead sidechained them. IDK how to fix that. Also I did try to vary the frequency usage with maximus, but every time I boosted the low or mid end I got a real muddy unpleasant sound.

Great song :D I so much like dubstep music,
but your song have two things that I don't like.
Repeating the same thing and using small amount of sounds.
It's getting kinda boring :\
but it's still great song! 4 starts isn't that bad :P
And remember that I'm not saying that my music is better xd
Maybe you have the same problem like me, that you can't back to your file!
Well... I'm using demo, so I can't even save, but it's almost the same problem xd
I'm waiting for beeing scouted, because I want to use my songs in GD, but I don't thing that this will happen soon! Well... I'm liking this music <3

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Okay, review time.

The very beginning sounds fine although it is a bit sudden, and there is no evidence of structure throughout really.
after the beginning the whole thing seems to just deteriorate from there sounding more and more like random noise.
I get that the song isn't finished (and never will be since you lost the file) but even as a fragment this isn't that good... sorry, but That's what I think.

in summary: meh.

I thought Id give a quick summary as to what I think of all of your works as a whole (I listened to a varied sample of them and overall: they could be a lot better, I think that you focus on pumping out new content way too much... you should step back a bit and spend more time on each track you make, quality should always come over quantity after all. also, as a general rule of thumb I try to avoid uploading previews to NG (I used to, but not anymore) That way your listeners don't have to wade through tons of previews to get to a finished track.

Well, I hope this helps you out :)

Doublechindoge7 responds:

Well ok, I can't really say much to that. I guess the only thing I can say is, everyone keeps saying in their negative reviews that after the first part it sounds random but I don't get the problem with that. I haven't been able to stick to one single style, so I take advantage of that and kinda create between styles and combine things you wouldn't often associate together, and no-one's ever complained about that. What makes it different here? Why do people hate the unusual combinations and mixture of classical and dubstep here?