Reviews for "Why Basic Income?"

Exceptional quality, and with an important message to. You've gone above and beyond. This is the kind of thing NGOs need to start paying for.

Very well made video! Good animation and a good introduction to the issues.

Basic income *feels* wrong to me, but it looks like trials are giving good results, so I'm not against it if the data is positive.

Wait a minute. You mean to say that Canada has no programs for those who are unemployed, too injured, or have mental instabilities that prevents them from working? That's nuts! The U.S. has Social Security Income that helped end the great depression and is helping some people from poverty. Not much, but some. If Canada doesn't have anything to help those unfortunates than I have to say that it's got to be one of the worst places to live in. It's all about survival of the fittest and the quickest with no regard for others.

Yeah, Canada needs to have something to help those down on their luck, or unable to even work due to injury or mental illnesses. This is just sad. It makes it look like the government thinks those unfortunate should go crawl to a corner and die. Come on, Canada, you're suppose to be better than this.

adamanimates responds:

If I understand the snark, you seem to be saying that Canada's already doing fine so why bother doing anything? I appreciate the health care, don't get me wrong. Turns out poverty's still a thing though in this northern utopia.

Loved the animation, and the examples used were constructed well. I think the audio could have used some fine-tuning though as it sounded a little rough and quiet.

It's a nice thought, but I feel like it couldn't stand in a real circumstance. Whenever universal funded care is mentioned, we often forget the consequences of such actions. If there was a basic income to pay everybody to have a sustainable living environment, some imbalance would have to be in place in order to do that. If that money would come from the government, it would actually come from taxing the people, decreasing the aggregate demand.

This is all just theory in my opinion, but once you have money funneling into every impoverished person in the country, that's less money going into businesses (which pay the income to working people). I don't think throwing money at the problem will fix anything.

Instead, we should be focusing on growing the employment market (perhaps making people more qualified for technological jobs). If there's a way to make more jobs available to those who are impoverished, than that would possibly solve the problem.

Kinda like that saying, "If you give a man a fish, you'll feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you'll feed him for a lifetime"

But this is all just theory, I'm in no way qualified to be making accurate assumptions

adamanimates responds:

I appreciate the honesty.

I think that we can focus on job training, but the problem is there are already too many qualified people for available jobs. You could expand the job market by expanding public funding for the massive infrastructure projects that need to happen. There is much evidence that public works projects are good for the economy and reducing unemployment, and I'm totally in favor of them.

But even that can only be a short term solution, if technology makes it so that humans aren't as efficient at the work that needs to be done.

Regarding your point about less money for business, people tend to spend money when they need things. It mostly all goes back into the economy, and that means new markets for businesses.

The saying about fish doesn't work if you can't afford a fishing rod. Maybe you might watch this video about the basic income study in India.... It's very relevant to your point at around 9:30: