Reviews for "An Alien Affair"

While the frantic nature of the humor kind of became a bit repetitious the end...

Wow... I'm almost speechless. Definitely one of those surprise endings that kind of catches you off guard. A definite LOL piece.

Nice work!

Solid work here. I had a feeling that was what was going to happen but overall it did still manage to surprise me somewhat. Funny voices, good art. Very likable.

Well animated and drawn. The pacing is nice and the voice acting is pretty decent. However, the male voice actor rubs me as an off-brand Rick and Morty which isn't bad in itself, but really put me off.

The writing and voice acting in this has a clearly strong influence (if not direct ripoff) of Rick and Morty. There wouldn't be a problem if there was a creative spin or have the R&M style mixed in with your style, but it feels as if you had just finished binge watching the show and decided to work on this. The animation, on the other hand, is great (as usual with Pivots). He really brought life to this project.

Overall I give this a 2.5 star rating. The writing could use a little less R&M and a little more YOU.

TylerLandis responds:

I feel like I need to respond to the Rick and Morty stuff, because enough people have accused this of being a "ripoff" and it's starting to really confuse me. I get that Dan's rambling and constant repeating Carrie's name is reminiscent of Rick and Morty. I thought that would be funny, and feel kind of like a reference. But I don't get how this cartoon can be considered a "ripoff" when it has nothing else to do with Rick and Morty. The entire plot of the episode is nothing like R&M except for the fact that he talks about aliens. What I found funny about the script is that he's using a big life event as an excuse to break up with her even though it doesn't actually make sense. I think a lot of people can relate to that feeling, and the feeling that the person breaking up with you isn't telling you the real reason, and it's not very R&M as a concept at all. Plus there are even significant differences between Dan's voice and Rick's voice (it's not gravely, there are no burps, he sounds scared the whole time which Rick never is, he doesn't sound cocky, when he gets really worked up and starts screaming I don't think it sounds like Rick at all, his voice is higher pitched in general). I don't know if you're familiar with my work, but I've had a similar sense of humor to R&M since before it started airing, and actually got a lot of texts from friends when R&M first aired saying that the show reminded them of my sense of humor, so maybe my style is just too close to R&M in general for people to be able to tell the difference, but this has been my sense of humor since middle school. I thought people might say things like "Oh man, Dan's voice reminds me of Rick!" but I definitely didn't expect people to accuse this of being a ripoff. Just watch my Li'l Buddies series (which I've been making since 2011) and hopefully you'll agree that this is my sense of humor.

I'm glad you liked Jordan and Evan's work though, they're wonderful!