The game is beaten in the following way:
1) mild punishments, a lot of food, normal control, normal laws
2) invest almost exclusively in security and infrastructure
3) when every stat maxed to 100%, no crime, no fear, budget cannot be assigned, keep the settings in 2)
4) every UFO attack reduce temporarily to normal food and spend most in infrastructure
3) after the second assassination attempt increase control.
Popularity and happiness will slowly grow by themselves with the above strategy.
Fear appears with hard laws or punishments, but those 1-5% are tolerable in the first couple of years for reducing crime.
My review to the author: the game is overly simple but still quite interesting. Would be more captivating if there were more events, more stats to control (e.g. foreign relations, education, research) and if the quarters could be skipped by assigning a default budget strategy (automatically applying the budget as previously applied). Have a look at the game "Rebuild 2" (zombie game), I spent countless hours in this kind of game due to how detailed the stats are and how well it continued to a new game after the game itself ended.