Reviews for "Loop Hell"

A very well made game , I like how it really loops things over and over again if you keep doing things wrong.

live tweeting:

beginning - i feel nauseous and slightly full of pasta
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut - I DO NOT LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING
melting things - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO REALLY DO THIS OH GOD I AM SO SCARED LITERALLY ALL THE TIME
i am not drinking that god damn ice nine btw
"crave profits?" i'm not gonna read this. yeah! good job, guy! (this is going to end so badly for me and literally everyone oh god. (btw i have been off ng because of mj paranoia conspiracy legit this is a really really rad dealing with reality bonus - i'll basically believe anything! i stopped punching things in games bc they bled too hard at me)
shit i scrolled too far down and i missed what he says at the top
WOO ICE NINE FOREVER
my dad sent me an email about the house flooding what if its true and this life and the matrix are the real matrix? what is time? what is life?
missed out one, inside out happens, eve six ftw i'm a fucking pseud.
shit the dying plants shit i gave away ice nine. shit what if we all die shit i did it all in the wrong order and now i'm sad and alone just like in my head.
yeeeeee it all resets, swag this is just like when i wake up or get high. shit i forgot to read and now i'm going 1-4. shit i can't read.
shit heaven is a half pipe i'm all there is in the universe. i miss pot.
SHIT IDIOT BOY CHILD RUINS EVERYTHING NO THREE OR FOUR THIS TIME DON'T DRINK THE KOOL AID KIDS YOU'LL BE ONE FROM THE TOP
don't know if i should go for three or four so here's to four because it's the biggest.
dude i made the big plate a small plate and the small plate a big plate! maths is fun!
before i ice dry i gotta get the big plate together if i can't i'll get so scared i'll barf up a sad funeral wank
shit this game is so hard and boring i wanna give up it's been like a hundredfold hours or maybe more
literally stuck in a loop. what a prond.
ps... i woke up like this today.
pps that last part isn't true but i forgot what i was gonna say.
i did it wrong again. the best combo is obvs 2134 because love of many comes one or whatever idfk i'm not a wazord
dude i melted things!
ugh i can't do it! ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh! (ugh! ugh! ugh! for ocd sake)
i don't wanna put the leaf on the tree because i'm invested enough in brown hair (that's what i call him its ok i have brown hair) to make him my own. what if i killed the leaf with ice nines. i am so scared?
ok i couldn't get into heaven if i killed myself. i left the room this time. i don't want to know how it ends. also i pressed the button and it went full screen and i got scared
:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0

LOL I had a great laugh :D
the main caracter must walk really, really slowly if you had time to live tweet!! ;)

I tried 2-4-1-3 and then I got a punishment.

Lovely art style and fitting music, that melting device looks right out of Myst.

However there's little done to mitigate the inherent monotony and repetition in the gameplay. The character moves abysmally slow for starters. Some simple visual flair could have worked well in spicing up the cycle, just little differences in the room each time you come through, and the article clues aren't nearly rewarding enough to figure out considering most players will probably have to go through the room eight times at minimum, with one simple mistake adding another four.

if just feels cheap when a puzzle can be figured out immediately and then you have to watch the character slowly go through the motions of solving it, or when an arduous process slows down your ability to experiment to the point where it's no longer appealing to do so. Character movement should be like a direct conduit for player thought, not a hindrance to it. I think there's something good here and it could just be the time limit holding you back but there's some questionable design too, there's a thin line between giving the player an obstacle and inadvertently placing an obstacle between the player and the game.

Never did get out of the room since after a few cycles I lost interest, so the overall puzzle could have much more complexity than I'm giving credit for. I don't know if it's intentional but in subsequent cycles the melted objects and the quadrant they correspond to would change, extremely frustrating as that whole cycle is rendered moot thanks to something I couldn't predict, and at times when I would use the quadrant on the circular panel it wouldn't actually appear on there and I'd get stuck at 3/4 quadrants placed with no more items to use, don't know if that's a glitch or if I just couldn't figure out what to do next.

axoona responds:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review!
I really appreciate your point of view.
The only thing I can put forward to defend repetitiveness of the game is that this really is hell and the character is being punished to loop in there for ethernity, so it needs to be annoying.
but I agree with you about the thin line, and this was obviously the risk of the game, but I decided to test where it is positionned
otherwise there is no randomness in the game, once you "get" the solution you do not need to redo the game again to get the code, I don't know if it's a consolation of any sort...
anyway the 3/4 quadrants was indeed a glitch so thank's for pointing this out so that I could correct it.

Hmm... an interesting little submission for the Ludum Dare Game Jam. The game fits the theme spot on, with the same room looping over and over again(although it's maybe somewhat cliche). The controls are relatively simple to get to and you easily figure out what to do, but as you have to keep repeating the room over and over again, it becomes kind of repetitive. The texts could've been more worked upon. After many redo's the character does feel a bit slow and I also seemed to misclicked quite frequently which made me spend more time on it. The achievement system was a nice touch, but it seems that the ending is slightly more complicated as I have yet to figure it out. Still it's a nice game, and I have featured it as my forth game in my Ludum Dare Let's play: https://youtu.be/94P_eRsIcRA . I hope you can continue making even better games.

axoona responds:

that's a cool gameplay video! I really enjoyed it :)
(tip: the articles are important ;)