Reviews for "Wickebine Kigyouden"

Grat game man, i really like it, it reminds me old days whit megaman x5, and i love that undertale parody battle

Alright, that's it, I need to know what engine you use for these amazing games. This one is extremely good. It fills me with the need to attempt something like this. Even though it's not gonna be anything quite as good. Honestly, you're probably the best developer of this genre on the entire site.

ShadowWhoWalks responds:

The game is made with Flash Actionscript 2.0 with a very shoddy code. It's kind of the equivalent of building models with duct tape. That's why it eats a lot of resources and runs slowly for some on NG.

Best of luck on the game! And even though I probably can't offer any real coding advice, I am happy to show you some of the logic like wall clinging or chaining attacks.

A game focused around combat and smooth controls, well achieved. I could see more games like this, and with some kind of MMPO. I never found all the items, but I it has a lot of replay value. Definitely try it out.

Finally finished the main story, all that is left is the optional bosses.

Pros.
Wonderful yet simple level design evocative of SoTN and other metroidvanias.
Balanced combat, simple but effective story.
Just enough secrets to keep you going back looking for more.
Plenty of items and skills to get you through the game.

Cons.
No in level map, makes it a bit harder to tell where in each level you are. (This isn't a huge issue as I only felt I'd need it in two levels, but would still have been helpful.)
Items dropping from an enemy at random means grinding through some to see if you have gotten the item they drop with no way of knowing when or if you'll get it.

Yeah, that's it, the only cons I can think of are more nitpicky than anything. Overall it's a solid game. I would definitely play another in this line and plan on continuing through this one until I can finish the optional bosses and find what other equipment I can.

Now For A Proper Review: 2019 Edition

Metroidvania on Newgrounds has never looked so good as in this game. Wickebine has an engaging story, great powerups, and very responsive controls. While there are a few hiccups here and there none of them disrupt the enjoyment to be had for very long. If you love a fair challenge and tension-filled boss battles this game is for you.

Graphics: 9.5/10
Each of the worlds stands out and is flavorful. You get a decent amount of variety and each room you visit within is lovely to look at much less play through.
Gameplay: 9/10
There is an issue with dying via your character clipping through the floor when performing actions (mostly from a long-distance fall or taking a lot of damage at once). It doesn't happen too often though. Thankfully checkpoints are plentiful and forgiving and you don't suffer any penalty for death. You may fail a decent amount of times (I sure did) but getting back into the action is so rewarding you won't mind this minor flaw.
Story: 8.5/10
Narratively I didn't see any flaws and it was a decent enough story. While engaging, it did feel a bit sparse. Perhaps this is due to setting up for future games? Bahomet makes for a great final villain and the sub-bosses are memorable and challenging. Don't want to spoil anything but there were a couple of moments in the latter part of the game that felt very fresh and as an older gamer I appreciate it when that happens.
Powerups: 10/10
When a game, especially a Metroidvania-type game, makes you question your gear setup even into the late stages of its story you know its good. I found myself changing up my subweapons, shoes, armor, and accessories a decent amount of times and finding new gear with new abilities never felt redundant or dull. On the contrary I loved some of the combinations o:f gear and skills I found.
Skills/Leveling Up: 9/10
I focused on STR for weapon and DEX for subweapon so I cannot speak for using INT based weapons and gear but the skills available in the game are very nice and by the time you reach the end you feel superpowered without being OP.
Difficulty: 8/10
Balance: 10/10

Overall: 10/10

Play this game and it'll be a great couple of hours. I guarantee it.