Reviews for "Flatwoods"

The game seems very fun but the lags while walking in some parts of the forest were just too much for me... It's a shame because the rest was pretty cool !

Gerkinman responds:

I am sorry you ran into those performance problems, they seem to have hit a lot of random people without hitting others.

its really good the i like the animation

Gerkinman responds:

Thanks, im glad you liked it. ^^

A nice short game love the animation

Cheers :)

This game is about exploring interactions possibilities, offered by a two dimensional, grid-based surface, by navigating a rectangular character block with limited actions (walk, describe, pickup, open, transfer, etc.). The character is the real eyes and senses of the player in this game, since he only deals with character's descriptions of the surrounding objects, while looking at simplistic, abstract models of absolutely identical images. That is why this game relies on its character's personality, expressed through his words, portraits and cut scene animations, and provides a pleasant experience on this behalf. Each description and its delivery adds to the uncovering of a story with some detective elements (like the connection of a shooting star to a lumber-mill day off), but also with many questions left intentionally unsolved (where did Lemon's father go, and why? What is the old man's story with the tractor? Who used to live in the abandoned cabin? etc.). This creates a feeling of a larger-than-this-story world and adds to the immersiveness of the game. It also emphasizes sense of a spooky adventure, mystery and unknown (the fantastic music and animations are largely to blame for this), while also staying warm and childlike with its light humor, friendly animations and cartoony appearances. Throughout the whole play I was expecting for some dark turn in the story, but thankfully author has wisely decided not to play this card and instead focused on a more subtle feeling.
The game itself provides little to no challenge, which, in the case of this particular story, seems appropriate. The game's only real puzzle is the forest, but it literally solves itself due to a good level design: from the very first location player is told to be on a lookout of an item, that will allow him to remove the trunks in order to get to the sparkly things; next few areas show him where all the items that he want are situated, so he can easily come back to them later; finally, the way wraps in a big loop, allowing player to instantly return to the initial location after acquiring the required item.
Overall, this game is very simple in terms of its mechanics, but this simplicity is compensated and ideologically justified by the story, since it paves the way for precisely the experience it strives for.

Gerkinman responds:

This review is super in depth and I cant thank you enough for taking the time to write up something so well thought out. I am glad you had a good time! :)

I learned so much about turnips. 10/10

Beyond that, though, this was just a really sweet and polished little game. I do wish the lag issue could be fixed, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Gerkinman responds:

Turnips are very important don't you know.