Reviews for "Arise 2"

After attaining all the medals in the first Bird Hop game this was much easier, I got 2500m at first attempt with the basic bird which unlocked all the birds and then exceeding 10000m in the next day with multiple special birds.

Most obstacles from the first game are also here but some are changed. The crushers are substituted with red flying non-bird things. The good thing they are slower, less long or wide, which makes them easier to pass and thus makes higher climbs easier. The bad thing that it is impossible to understand what they are and that the crushers are removed completely, I think that some crushers should be left, just made very rare. They could start appearing only after 5000m and be very rare, like once or sometimes twice straight after each other for every 1000m, so that there would still be some hard places. The same can be said about spiked ceilings, some of them could have been left for the diversity of obstacles, just made more rare.

The best and most fun new obstacle is the other birds, unlike other obstacles they are not lethal, but they sure do have potential create a lot of chaos and confusion that can be dangerous, although sometimes it can play to players favor by triggering the shooters (which again can be either beneficial or bad depending on timing). The unpredictability and ambigiousness of these birds make them the most interesting thing to encounter on the climb up.

Still ,the best improvement over the first part is that the different unlockable birds (and a non-bird) are different not only by their looks, but also each has a different ability. Most abilities are a mixed blessing, sometimes useful and sometimes dangerous, which adds some more depth to the birds that have them. Some unlockable birds are stronger then the basic bird while others are more harder to play. It is mainly because of these different characters, that I rate this game a half-star higher then the first game.

I am not giving all 5 stars because of some minor issues. The first game had a small intro which told a small but still nice story, this game abandoned that. And also the custom bird selection does not work. And as I already mentioned I would have liked if all the traps from previous game made appearance in this sequel too an d game difficulty would be regulated by their rarity rather then absence. 4.5 stars is still a good score trough.

As I write this I am on approximately 150th attempt and have reached over 10000m with three different birds and one of these climbs is second best in global rankings. All medals are attained except the one where you must die 300 times. I will try to get over 10000 meters with as many different other birds as I can until hitting 300th attempt and getting the last medal and then it is time to put this game to rest.

Mantis1 responds:

Thank you for playing and writing this detailed review! :DDD

To clarify, all the birds are unlocked from the start of the game, that's because players weren't spending a lot of time playing the game (unlike the first game which was much more popular) .

I personally favor the first game because I have fonder memories when creating it and because I felt I was experimenting with it more. I also decided to retire this game series, though I'd like to put some references to Bird Hop in my future games. I'm currently making a game featuring the girl character (the last character in selection screen).

Love the game but certain (and difficult) medals did not work!

The game is okay, but it honestly seems kind of boring and less difficult compared to the original. I reached over 2000m, got bored, and killed the bird on purpose. The only incentive I have to go further would be for the medals (which I had completely forgotten about when I killed the bird). I think what made the original so good was that it put the player on edge, perhaps by making the lava rise quicker.

I also don't really understand the point of the other birds since they barely impede the player (and I don't think them making a pinball sound really matches with the game).

Still, it was a pretty cool game and I liked the other birds' designs and the abilities you gave them. I look forward to your next game.

I do have two questions though:
- What are those red flying thing that kill you if you touch them? Are they birds? If so, then shouldn't the fire bird also kill them since its description says it kills other birds.
- Who is the girl with the chainsaw suppose to be?

Mantis1 responds:

The lava speed in the original was actually slower if you can believe it! But you're right, the original was more engaging and so the player was on more of an edge.

My theory is that Abyss 2 plays better and is much more polished, but the original is *the better game* because it was very enigmatic. I didn't know how to make a game at the time, so I was coming up with stuff on the fly. The end result was something very unique. By comparison, the sequel is more safe, familiar, and commercial and I think that's what killed it. I consider Abyss 2 a lesson on how I should NOT make a game and I'm going to keep it in mind for the future.

For the pinball sound effect of the birds, I made it intentionally jarring to make it funny. See this:
It made me laugh, but I should have tested the actual potency of that joke with real players, unfortunately, it's hard to get play-testers for a free mobile game.

Thanks for your feedback! It certainly opened me on more stuff to think about!

As for your questions:
- They're actually bats with skulls. And logically yes, the fire bird *should* be able to kill them. Unfortunately, that would make the game too easy. I could have fixed it if I made the bats breathe fire or leave a poisonous substance, but too late ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- The game was planned to have between 20-50 characters, not just birds. Other humans and even a dragon as protagonists. So I took the girl, Bunny, from another prototype game I was working on with the hope that I'll add more human characters later. But I stopped once I felt I added enough characters for an initial release.

i feel your pain with the unity webgl. for my one attempt i stuck an animated gif behind it to make people think something was happening haha :< game is cute, think i'll grab it for my phone.

Mantis1 responds:

Haha, so you're a game developer as well! Trust me, Unity WebGL has been significantly improved from even last month. Still, I hope Unity developers can improve the web preloader and build time.

Your games look cool by the way, I'm going to check some of them later!

This is awesome, even better than the first one. The graphics are all revamped and pretty, and the music is kickass as always.

I like how, this time around, the different birds and characters you can get actually make a difference in the game's mechanics, with some of them being faster, others being able to double jump, others being able to survive hits, etcetera. That adds an extra degree of variation and possibilities that I really enjoy.

All the classic obstacles are there, including the blocks, the arrows, the lava, and this time there are also birds themselves, trying to climb with you, that stand in your way and bounce around. All that is so epic, and I'm sure there are many things I haven't even seen yet.

In the first game, seeing the leaderboards was easy, and in this game, there's apparently no option to do so. That's pretty much the only gripe I have with this game.

Mantis1 responds:

You can still see the Newgrounds leaderboards under the game window, next to the medals tab!

While seeing the leaderboards in-game would've been cool, it's too much work because the Newgrounds API doesn't come with that functionality in Unity (unlike flash), and my next game is a bigger priority!