Reviews for "Dreary Asylum"

This is going to harsh, but...
I did like the pictures you used to create the environment, and the music was kind of a nice fit with said photos. The dentist chair was an interesting choice.
But...
There is NO explanation for ANYTHING; How do I know that this pentagram need jewels? Why is there a demon? How do I know how to use the Cross? Why do I not freak the fuck out at the demon?Why do I need to 'cleanse the asylum' or whatever? Why am I even here? Who am I? Where am I? What time period?
Also, it said at the beginning about how it was shut down for 'paranormal activities being reported'; what in God's name does that even mean? Are we in a world we suddenly everyone believes in ghosts, or where people not sending their crazy loved ones here because they they were going to be possessed? Where people constantly dying in weird ways that it forced the place to shut down, and now there is ghosts? I don't understand.
There isn't even a hint of a story here.
And to go off of what I said earlier about the images you used; I do like them. I actually do. But, when you pair them up with cartoonish crappy clip art of keys and jewels that don't match the style, when you have a very primitive background of a vent to find the purple key, when you take a stock image that looks exactly like a guy in a Halloween costume Spirits website and call it a 'demon', when every single thing put into the environment clashes so hard with the actual background, it seems extremely novice and and stupid, and breaks down the atmosphere.
The sound? I kinda liked the music; it was a playful and sort of eerie, but when you loop it INFINITELY and have NO other sound EVER, and it is the ONLY thing in the ENTIRE game, and because it's only sound it feels even more uncomfortable to have zero sound so you don't want to mute the music so you just endure it because it's more annoying and irksome to play without the simple sounds of doors creaking open or demons screaming or whatever. Even the crappiest free sound effects would've been better then just the music alone. It wasn't a good idea to plant the music in because you felt it needed sound; just the sound of footsteps or doors ALONE would've been better.
Quite honestly, there not a single thing original about anything in this game. It felt like a carbon cookie cutter point n click that litters the internet.
I just hope this might have been some help to any future projects you might have.

I really enjoyed this game! The room with the dentist chair was a new twist and a refreshing one. Another great game made by Selfdefiant. Thank you WorldEscapeGames for this great game.

Thank you for playing!

Also got trapped in the dentist's chair room. Not too pleased with the solution, especially since you don't make it very clear that it isn't a bug. Perhaps inform the player that the door closed behind them?

The games you make are becoming too much of a pixel hunt. The puzzles in this one were bog easy, but I had to do the 'scan the room with your mouse to find something of interest' way too many times. This is especially offputting when you've got the little purple dots everywhere, which trigger your mouse, but you don't necessarily have the jar to collect them yet. This made the dentist's chair room particularly grating, as I had to find the screwdriver while being triggered by 4 or 5 purple dots.

I appreciate that you use photographs of real places, and its nice that stuff that is actually in the room and not photographically added is relevant. But in one room, a cupboard and a drain were both 'real' and right next to each other, which meant searching the room allowed you to think you, say, were just hovering over the cupboard when you were actually over the drain. And clicking over every 'real' thing is a next to impossible task, considering how much stuff is in there! The places are a huge mess.

WorldEscapeGames responds:

Thank you for you review and for playing our game.

However, I think that informing the player about the door would have killed the surprise.

I got trapped in the room with the dentist chair, it wouldn't let me out without the purple key, this happened more than once. where's a locksmith when I need one? Had to start over. Otherwise another good SelfDefiant game. So I'm still givin' out 10/10.

Update: I noticed the screwdriver on my next playthrough. I'm not proud of myself, lol.

Hello,

Thank you for playing the game and for your comment. Did you notice that at the bottom of the dentist chair, there is a screwdriver... the screwdriver needed to be used on the vent and inside of the vent was the famous purple key.

Best regards,