Reviews for "Real American Test"

Kinda missing the point here. What do you think the "A" in USA stands for? Americans are called Americans because they live in a country called United States of America. Just as Germans are from Germany, and Argentinians are from Argentina. The term "American" typically refers to the name of the country, not either of the continents. It could refer to the continents, but in this case it is normally "North American" or "South American."

"America" is BOTH a country and two continents.
Mexicans are North Americans.
U.S.A was founded by the native children of immigrants. No population is ever truly native.
Puerto Rico is not a U.S. state, unfortunately.
Shakira is clearly not an American Lawyer, because her hips can't lie.
WTF is Groenland?

TLDR: You are confusing the country designation "American" with the continental designation "American."

Munguia responds:

We can call Germany of Europe, or China of Asia, or Cuba of America, USA is part of America as Mexico, Canada, Haiti... Many countries call theirs selves AMERICANS, unfortunately some USA citizens dislike that, and want to change it by teaching that way, making movies, writting books,... we can use other names as Latin Americans, North Americans, Central Americans, Ibero Americans, Insular Americans, South Americans, Caribbeans Americans, West Indians Americans, Native Americans, AfroAmericans, at the end are ALL AMERICANS

Just for the Folks complaining.

The Americas, also collectively called America,encompass the totality of the continents of North America and South America. Together they make up most of Earth's western hemisphere and comprise the New World.

This includes every country there. But of course most people will complain.

---------------------------

Game was ok, a bit too easy. But i guess you know that. Cheers.

I'm Canadian, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with the premise of this game.

"America" is not a continent. Even if you accept the point the game is trying to make, it is *two* continents. In English, those two continents are generally referred to as "The Americas", and never as "America". We like to think of continents as contiguous landmasses, but that simply isn't how we define them; Europe is connected to Asia, but it is not the continent of Eurasia, nor is the United Kingdom its own continent. Even if we did use that definition, the Panama Canal finalized that debate with nuclear bombs.

That may not be the case in other languages, but to be clear, what you are making is simply a semantic argument. "We are all Americans" may sound like a message of unity, but all it is is arguing over the definition of a word; in the end, it is a pointless position to take. Language is defined by its use, not logic.

And if we did, for some unfathomable reason, choose to call the two continents of North and South America "America", what precisely would be the word to refer to people whose nation of birth is the United States of America? United Statians? U. S. Americans? "Americans" suddenly isn't precise enough, and you don't have an alternative word for it.

Too long, didn't abbreviate: I'm not American.

Munguia responds:

whatever you want, other 34 american contries thinks different

it doesn't make any sense

It is true that USA has usurped the name of America for itself unjustly. This game does good job of of dispelling that myth.

But it is false that there is one continent called America.

This is how it is thought in schools of 2nd world (Former Soviet Union) and how I believe is right.

Geologically there are six continents: Eurasia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica. This is a scientific (geological) fact and it is not arbitrary for humans to decide.

At the same time there are six parts of the world: Europe, Asia, Africa, Americas and Antarctica. This is arbitrary human division and can be disputed.

The problem is that people with worse education do not differentiate between what a "continent" and "part of world" is. One is geological land mass. Other is cultural region. It is a flaw of USA and probably also Costa Rican education system. Probably all countries in Americas are too biased on this in their own way.

There is also another highly deceptive and misleading question in this game. About immigrants. Yes Americas are populated mostly by Immigrants today. But there is the important part; These were all European and Christian Immigrants. The cultural differences between Spanish, English, French, Italian and Irish immigrants were rather small and they could all find common ground in the European and Christian values. This allowed them to create prosperous countries with mixed ethnicities like USA and Canada.

Today this sentiment is used to justify immigration of non-European and Non-Christian cultures in Americas. And it only leads to disaster as not all of these cultures are compatible. Especially ones whose holy texts call to killing all those who do not worship their desert deity.

It is easy for Munguia to criticize the right political wing of USA for not accepting immigrants in the USA. Maybe some of his relatives or friends went to cheap illegal work in USA? But there is bigotry in that because I bet very few migrants are coming to Costa Rica. I bet Munguia would change his mind sooner or later if many desert people would come to his beautiful jungle and seashore country and bring their desert rules with them and tried to enforce them to the local population. Also if USA is so bad and Costa Rica and other Latin-American countries are so good - why do people want to immigrate for cheap illegal work into USA all the time? Why not stay in your tropical paradises and make your own countries more prosperous and better? Why care so much about USA immigration policies? There is something very fishy and not completely honest about this.

I say all this as an impartial observer, not coming from Americas myself. Yes USA is wrong for calling itself America, but other American countries are also wrong by thinking they have the right to immigrate in USA freely, when they themselves receive much much less immigration, because for some mysterious reason (not so mysterious actually) very few people want to immigrate to them.

I got 19 of these questions right from the first time. The one I got wrong was about the big cats, I didn't knew what is bigger: cougar or jaguar and missed the first time. Easy game.

So since this game has no art my max score would be four stars. From that I must distract two stars for two falsely misleading questions in this otherwise fine educational game.