Reviews for "A Sweet Typing Thrill"

This is a great game. It's a little slow to start - the text crawls a little too slowly and personally was the most immersion breaking feature. I love the music, and how it's incorporated into the game. I don't want to say too much, but really this is a fantastic work of art.

Thank you, Guthrie!

I agree the start is a bit slow, but it was pretty much unavoidable as this is a sequel. As for the text, people have told me different things about how the liked the speed, so I decided to keep it the same as in the last game, as it didn't seem to bother all too many people. However, I know that some people like to play the games faster, which is why I included a few options to speed up the text :)

I'm really glad to hear that you like the music!
Thanks again, both for playing, and for leaving a nice review :D

This made me feel smart because I was able to figure everything out without too much trouble (besides the secret ending, I'll get to that eventually). This one was definitely harder than the first game, but I like how it was justified by the detective using a computer.
Normally I'm not interested in text-based games, but this one was really enjoyable. Nice work!

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Hehhe, well since you were able to beat the game, chances are you are fairly smart ^ ^

The secret ending is a bit of a bitch, as it's pretty unfair. It's a bit meta I guess, but it's super cool once you get it :)
Not the ending itself, but realizing what it is, I should say.

Yeah, I think this one is a bit harder too! I'm glad you enjoyed it regardless. I'm super glad that you like this game, especially since you don't normally find yourself playing text-based games!

Thanks for playing, and for leaving a nice review :3

I'll be straight forward, I honestly enjoyed this game, from the music to the gameplay itself. Trust me when I say I had a few tabs open to help me with some puzzles, as well as many notes on my desk, noting every little nudge I thought it'd be useful. As something that was written on the last game, the difficulty depends on each person, and on that you were accurate.
I also must admit, after reading the comments here for a bit, I was also given a clue to the whereabouts of the secret ending, very clever indeed.
But alas, I'll stop rambling. This is an amazing brain teaser, that'll really make you make good use of that noggin of yours, and I cannot wait for the sequel, whenever it happens. Until then, have a good one.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed my game :D
Oh yeah, I think that a few tabs with different services are a great help when playing this game. Since aspects of the game require either previous knowledge, good research skills, or simply the right kind of thinking, the difficulty will definitely vary a ton.
Good job if you managed to figure out the secret ending based on the clues you found!
Unfortunately, I think it'll be a while until I create the third and final game. However, I aim to make it a good one whenever I get to it :)
Thank you for reviewing, and for playing the game ^ ^

Played both games, I'm honestly impressed.

Where to even start. The wordplay is phenomenal on both games, especially in the first one *cough*Reverse*cough* and the amount of detail is crazy. In the first game it's actually kind of funny how that puzzle felt incredibly hard compared to the ones that followed and took me... quite some time to beat, lol

Fortunately, the somewhat uneven difficulty curve was addressed in this sequel. It's kinda tough to address the puzzles without spoiling anything to any potential player here, so I'm just gonna stick to the feedback and my overall experience with the game.

The only real criticism I can give is towards the typography. I think it's a bit of a pain at first, since I had to get used to a font that is all-caps and slanted, plus stylized in a way that makes reading more challenging at smaller sizes. I'd call it a typography crime, since while it might add to the game atmosphere (quite opinable at this point), it sacrifices some readability and honestly I don't feel like getting a new pair of glasses to read a few passages from a screen. A more readable font would have been nice, since some of the glyphs are fairly ambiguous too, as noted down below. I understand that I can't pretend everyone to have studied graphic design and therefore know the importance of visual communication, but I'm only pointing out a detail that could be useful for any future endeavor you'd want to embark on.

The audio is, that goes without saying, very fitting to the kind of setting you've established. There's the mystery, uneasiness, with a hint of tragedy too. I like puzzle games that include sound as a game mechanic, and I think that as "civilized" and "modern" as we are, we rely too much on our sight compared to our other senses. Well done on the secret ending, as well.

Honestly, if there's a word that can well sum up both games is "clever".
Very good puzzle design and flow, great audio and nice writing.

PS: Looking forward to talk about some other nitpicks in better detail on Skype. :)

Hello, friend!

Thank you for playing both of the games, and on such a short notice too! Means a lot that you enjoyed both of them ^ ^

I think I just turned my habit of making really bad puns into these stories and puzzles haha :D I guess after all these years, it's good to get some substantial use out of them >:D

Jokes aside, I did indeed put a lot of detail into the writing. Because of the format, I had to think about pretty much every sentence, and how they all connect together.
As for the 'reverse' level in the first game, I kinda threw it in there to show that not all puzzles could be expecet to be entirely similar, or color out the hints :)
In the second game, I was less vague (to the most part), as the theme wasn't as revolved around wordgames per se.

Thank you for avoiding spoilers! At least I can be proud that the walthrough for this game, that someone recorded and uploaded, is that person's most viewed video for 4 weeks, by far >:)

Yah, I totally get what you're saying about the typography. I am honestly not happy about it, but for complicated reasons I was in a rush when making the game, and kinda had to settle for something which wasn't entirely finished. On the accidental plus side (based on studies I've read because of my studies [more horrible wordplay; a bonus just for you]), the extra concentration probably helps a few people solve some puzzles they might not otherwise, or at least do it quicker. Not intentional though, nor an excuse.
The font for the first game is something I spent slightly more time on, and also something which looks more like I intended it to (thought the Z and a few other letters probably should've been clearer). But that font wouldn't make much sense in this game, and I didn't want to use a standard one, and ended up with something in between, haha. Sorry about that!

As for the audio, I think both of use realize how important this aspect of games can be :)
What you said about our senses, is actually something I had in mind when making the level. I definitely wanted to make sure to break the user's habit of relying on the text alone :p
The secret ending is the first thing I came up with for the game. It's a shame that it too was included in the walkthrough, but I suppose that is just how things go!

Clever is a good a word as any compliment for the games, so thank you once more. For that, and for leaving a long and helpful review :3

P.S. I guess the Skype chat kinda happened already... But that's fine, innit? ;)

Man this seems really hard for me! Either that or i am really tired to play this game right now! Other than that i know this will be a freakin' blast to play cause i enjoyed the previous one so much!

Thanks for another awesome "mind game" man! I will definitely make sure to finish this up once my head is clear! Keep up the good work! ^^

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

To be fair, this is a pretty difficult game! Since you've played the previous game in the past, I can tell you that the level you seem to be on based on the medals, is very similar to the first actual level of the first game :)
I hope that helps get you started! Other than that, the puzzles are all different in many ways, from the first game.

Thanks for the high hopes, already before getting really into the game! Have fun ^ ^