Reviews for "XCVB ++"

It's good, but they're all the same levels from the original game, I would've liked an actual improvement of the game not just graphically.

Absolutely agree.

So..... basically what happened was.

I got help from a friend to make this awesome color wheel thing for the background image which was absolutely sexy as anything.

but.... the way I mapped out the levels and coded them was not very scalable at all.

The overall hope was to be able to make the way I created levels scalable, but because the game started as a jam game I did things in a really hacky way. and all the start goals and end goals are hardcoded into the level class for the various levels. And also each level map asset for tiling and background image is also hardcoded.

And in order to make it more easily handleable I would have to work on creating an extra tileset which would be the same size as the overall map JUST for the start and finish tiles.

and then include them all in a global JSON string somewhere to be loaded at the right time.

And then with the malevolent levels things became even trickier.

I had this really cool idea of making the level creation as easy as possible, but it all went to the wayside.
so the original mapping is easy, but you've got to hardcode the start and end points.

and then I lost the tiling config I had setup and couldn't find it on my computer.

maybe someday I'll make some new levels on this.

BUT, I did add level selection, save games and some other stuff. but obviously could have tried harder.

the original sequel to XCVB was supposed to be SUPER XCVB. but since this wasn't really a sequel and wasn't really the same as the first game and was a major enough update I called it ++.

Blam. The controls are weak, the graphics are poor and the responses from the game developer are berating and insulting at best.

makehimanoffer responds:

Sorry about your controls being weak! Unfortunately I don't think there's much I can do about improving the haptic response of your keyboard. You might need to buy a new one I'd say.

I think the art assets are pretty simplistic to be honest. I'm not sure there's much I can do if you've got a poor graphics card that can't handle them. There's nothing very hi-res going on in my game that should be causing poor graphics response. Maybe the colors, but even they're not as hectic as they used to be.

I would say you might need to consider a new gaming setup from the sound of things.
Unfortunately that's not something I can help you with.

Thanks for playing my game!
Appreciated!

Took me a while, and a LOT of looking away from the screen to rest my eyes on those super shaky levels, but after beating it, I think it was pretty enjoyable. Music fits pretty well too.

This game is *meant* to be hard. The control scheme is *meant* to be counter-intuitive and confusing. That is the entire point of the game! That's not a reason to knock off stars, folks. Then again lots of "mad cuz bad" going on I can tell. Shame because lots of decent games end up with lower scores than they deserve that way. (And lots of crappy games pass with higher scores just because they have easy medals)

makehimanoffer responds:

also I was a collosal asshole to everyone who reviewed it badly, which further accentuates people wanting to review it badly. phil fish effect. but yeah it's all G. thanks for playing the game and such... I've gotten some truly terrible games through judgement by putting in easy medals(see Happy Birthday to You for reference). and that still has good reviews, so it's definitely an easy way to get okay results. which means creators can be lazy if they wanna just give easy medals and people will vote them up

It's a very strange game. Playing it is like dropping some acid and fucking around with a Commodore 64. It's okay, but it definitely takes time to master. When you can get the controls down, it's okay. The music is great though. Muito bem!

makehimanoffer responds:

that's fairly accurate description :) . the dude who did the music is an australian chiptune artist. pretty good. nice guy.