Reviews for "An Astronaut's Daydream"

"The Sea Creature from Space"
I always appreciate the songs that actually have a significant meaning behind them. I never put much thought into it, since I don't have time to (with the unfortunate demo edition of strife) but I suddenly want to now xD This song is pretty solid - great sound design as always! You're getting better with future bass, which I feel is probably one of the main genres we both love. I always love vocal patterns in songs if they're done right, and the vocals in this song we're done very well :D The main problems that I've seen in a few of your songs are here though...
For the most part:
-The percussion is way to basic and repetitive. You can fix this by experimenting more with different samples and styles :)
-The mixing is pretty off :/ I see this problem a lot with artists such as 1f1n1ty. You need to put more thought into the way the sounds are gonna work together in the actual song. Try to experiment with the levels of each of the patterns and decide what works together best ;)

The way you do Future Bass is a different style to how I try to do it. Seeing that your strong suits are for the most part what I lack at, your songs are gonna sound really different to mine. Basically I think that we both need to learn from one another to get as good as we can get - I need to learn how to design sounds and build chords and melodies better and you need to get better at mixing and percussion - we should try more to learn from each other. Great job mate ;)

Also if you're wondering why this review is so much longer than usual, it's cos I'm writing this during school to and I'm bored beyond belief xD

Keep up the good work :D

MollusK-Music responds:

Much obliged for the compliments and I really value the feedback. I am also aware that I have been having a lot of trouble with my mixing and mastering recently. I know for a fact I am able to master the house style I am used to but with different genres comes different mastering/mixing and I really need to work on making my songs sound more crisp, clear and loud. I've updated the mix as well, so the issue shouldn't be nearly as bad shortly after writing this. Regarding the percussion, I am also working at that. I am really on the fence about doing longer, more intricate drums. On the one hand, they are more interesting and tend to sound better. On the other, it can sometimes distract from the rest of what is going on, depending on the style of song, simple or otherwise. In the house tracks I do, the percussion is supposed to be basic and in a simple pattern throughout for a groove factor.

Even still, I'm really glad to hear that you think my music (Chords, melodies and stuff) as well as my sound design is good. Since that's really all I am good at doing so far. I know the technical bits and bobs for basic audio engineering and I lack all music theory, so I'm glad I could make something from nothing. I am working right now, and will continue non-stop, to get a more crisp and clear sound through mastering, and to work a bit on my mixing. Mixing for me all depends on genre, so if I keep doing Future Bass, I should get better at it over time. Mastering is all audio relative, so I'm going to have to work extra hard on doing that to the best of my ability. I know I explicitly say a great song doesn't need weeks, and that's true. But, all the post-processing to make that great song actually sound great is a whole other monster. I am going to invest into Izotope Ozone for mastering soon, to get the best results possible. I appreciate the in depth response. Now, I will take my leave to fight with NG until it lets me update the damn audio!

(PS. If there are any spelling/grammatical errors, please excuse. It is a little late here and I'm too lazy to do my usual spell check)

Cheers c: