Reviews for "Climber Guy"

Okay, so this is a really simple premise, though it could ultimately use a lot of improvement. There are only ten levels, which would generally be a bit short for most games, but here it works. The main reason for this is that the game itself is little more than a button-mashing extravaganza. The idea itself isn't bad, though I find that mashing Z and X over and over (and over and over) feels both tedious and uninspired. The climbing mechanic could certainly be better, but again that's where having only ten levels works in the game's favour.

The graphics and animation look really hastily done and super simplistic, but that's actually kind of charming in its own special way. Some really obvious game design essentials have been left out, though. For one thing, there is no explanation about what the individual stats do. You can't mouse over the icons for descriptions or anything, so that's definitely a minus--even if it all seems self-explanatory to the designer. The average person won't have that same inside track to the design mindset, so it's always wise to keep that in mind. Through simple trial and error, I learned that the Strength and Health stats are ultimately the most important to actually succeeding in each level's objective. Speed really isn't all that important since all it helps you do is move left and right quicker. The only real reason to max out all the stats is to earn the medals, and - to that end - it might even be better to lower the upgrade costs on those a bit so that they remain relevant to the actual gameplay.

The only music is a really short loop, and while I didn't find it to be terribly annoying straight away, by the time I was a few levels in it was really beginning to grate. Sound effects are sparse, but what little there is works well enough. It might have been nice to add a few more for mousing over menu selections.

All in all, I felt like the game was simply mediocre. The medals are a nice incentive, though maxing out all the stats is neither necessary for completion of the game, nor is it particularly fun. I would personally suggest giving this a bit of extra polish if you hope to earn higher ratings.

blit-blat responds:

Yeah, thinking about it leaving out instructions for the upgrades was a bit silly; we've spent so much time playing this game it seemed obvious to us! :P I've updated the game description explaining the upgrades. Thanks for the review :)

muito bom.

Thank you! :)

This game has a lot of potential, I like the music I also liked the fact that this is a different kind of game. That being said however, the main things that I did not like was the fact that you had to hit the "z" and "x" keys really fast and the character could not strafe very quickly, most of the time I did not see the coins or the upgrades in time and the rocks would just come out of nowhere. These are my thoughts on your game. :)

blit-blat responds:

Thanks for the feedback! Collecting the coins will allow you to upgrade you strafe and climb speeds. It's all about the upgrades! ;)