Reviews for "The Cloud"

This game is incredibly repetitive and not worth it, apparently. Judging from the comments you torture yourself with that impossible last day just to get shot in the head. I've been playing that last day for an hour and I'm about ready to do the same. I stuck around for that 50 point medal, but it just isn't possible for me to get it.

JackAstral responds:

Updated the game! Difficulty is more fair- sorry about that!

As someone who has followed you for years this was quite the emotional experience. Had you been another creator, I just would've quit the game, but I held out thinking you would do something to make up for it. I played that last level for 10 MINUTES (i don't know what it must've been like before) just because I wanted to make sure you didn't just end the game will the dude killing himself.

Oh well.

Even besides that the game is borderline indefensible. You are playing someone who suffers from depression and depict them doing everything they can to not be happy. The most frustrating part of the game literally has you dodging happiness. WTF dude. I would like to say you were trying to do something good, but it came off as teenage angst that in the end just forces you to lead the embodiment of misery-guts to kill himself.

Touch on serious topics, fine, but put some thought into it man. You are more creative than this.

Here is my recommendation. Have a game where the gameplay feels like the emotion you are trying to present. Also, have a sad story that ends on a happy note. Maybe it is just the ones I've played, but your games have a tendency to get you invested and then just ending suddenly with "yep, life sucks. Period. Bye."

Keep on keeping on. I know your best work is ahead of you. I don't want to be mean, I just thought I would let you know.

JackAstral responds:

This project was kinda created as an alternate to my other game The Darkness Within You, hence the final medal description saying "there's not always a light at the other end"- a reference to that game's ending

While that one ended in an uplifting way, I guess this tried to show an alternative ending- if the character didn't try to find the light, and instead searched for darkness. That's why you're collecting sadness and avoiding happiness...builds on the whole light/dark (life/death) metaphor thing that's in almost all my games

I've updated the game a bit to curve the difficulty and make it a bit more exciting and fast paced...probably should have done that sooner :p

I don't think "misery" should of been one of the tags, I think "infuriating" suits this game more.

JackAstral responds:

ahah I've updated the game now to be fairer in the last couple levels- sorry about that!

This game is dark, like really dark.

redundant and melodramatic.

I don't mean to be harsh. I've seen your other games and you've done much better than this. Furiously pounding your spacebar with mournful music in the background and some whiny kid complaining about how his depression is a "cloud" that follows him don't make a good plot nor does it make decent gameplay. This game stereotypes people struggling with depression and panders to whiny emo wannabe kids who mope about how much their lives stink when really they haven't suffered a single thing worth shedding a tear.

08jackt you're a top notch gamer, and forgive me if I sound like an ass projecting my own problems, I just really didn't like this game, and to those reading this; don't take my word. You might play the game and have an entirely different experience than I did

JackAstral responds:

All g dude! This game isn't about depression- it's a spiritual sequel to my other game The Darkness With You- kinda an alternative ending. The dude's girlfriend died in a car accident in that game, so that's why he's so mopy in this one ha ha

I've updated the game a bit to include better gameplay, if you wanna give it another try