For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 56 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "SimHamlet"

Some error appeared on the browser, and i was not able to type anymore. Was about half way through.
Has potential, needs more work

Interesting take on hamlet. Knowing the story helps dramatically, and without it the game gets much more difficult. The parsing of the terms is always tricky and while it was clunky at times it worked. I had more than a little trouble getting the gravedigger to keep straight which hamlet I was talking about. I am not thrilled that to uncover some facts I literally had to ask the same question twice in a row. That was frustrating.

But...

That aside, it was an entertaining use of my time and for a simple game it works rather well, despite its flaws.

I think it's pretty good and it's an interesting and original way to view the Hamlet story, but there are plenty of frustrations around trying to get the right syntax or triggering word/phrase. For example: "Why did Rosy and Guildo ask to be killed?" -> "They didn't know that's what they were asking." but "How did Rosy and Guildo ask to be killed?" -> "To be hung until they were dead." Argh!

Here's a walkthrough in rot13:
Lrf
Ubj qvq ebfl naq thvyqb qvr?
Jub unatrq gurz?
Jub xvyyrq cbybavhf?
Jurer qvq cbybavhf qvr?
Jura qvq ur qvr?
Ubj qvq ur qvr?
Jub qvq we guvax jnf oruvaq gur phegnva?
Jurer qvq we qvr?
Jura qvq ur qvr?
Jub xvyyrq uvz?
Jub jnf va gur grnz?
Jul qvq ynregrf fgno we?
Ubj qvq we qvr?
Ubj jnf we cbvfbarq?
Jnf ynregrf fgnoorq ol uvf bja fjbeq?
Jnf ynregrf fgnoorq ol uvf bja fjbeq?
Lrf.
Jura qvq Tregehqr qvr?
Jurer qvq fur qvr?
Ubj qvq fur qvr?
Jvar?
Qvq Pynhqvhf xvyy Tregehqr?
Jul qvq Pynhqvhf xvyy Tregehqr?
Qvq we xvyy pynhqvhf?
Jura qvq Pynhqvhf qvr?
Jurer qvq ur qvr?
Jul qvq we xvyy pynhqvhf?
Jung ner gubfr ernfbaf?
Lrf
Ubj qvq we cbvfba pynhqvhf?
Jura qvq fe qvr?
Qvq pynhqvhf xvyy fe?
Qvq pynhqvhf xvyy fe?
Ubj qvq fe qvr?
Jul qvq Pynhqvhf xvyy fe?
Qvq pynhqvhf ybir tregehqr?

It's a good game and I see plenty of potential. However, sometimes it took me getting the gravedigger(GD) to repeat an answer to get it marked on the grave. He also failed to answer any question about Gildenstern and Rosencratz, either not able to remember who was who or just falling back and saying everyone was murdered. I could only get that they died by travelling.
The Xs on the graves were also out of order. For example: on Ophelia, the grave has XX___, but the description has X_X__. The final X on gravestones are also mismatch, so a ____X is actually ___X_ in the description. It confuses me on which detail I do have sometimes.
While I appreciate the effort of "decoding" text into a way the GD could understand it, it very quickly became cumbersome when I asked something straight-forward (Claudius was killed by Hamlet Jr?) and received an entirely different answer (Didn't you understand the first time? Claudius provided Laertes with a poisoned sword.).
It's a clever attempt and I see much potential for improvement. Keep trying and you'll get better!

I love the Hamlet story, but I never had an excellent game like this. Like, uncovering the deaths of some important people in our history with an half-dead brain gravedigger?! Excellent.