Reviews for "Crystals"

Not sure if it's a bug or not but it's possible to swap a gem to an empty space in the grid, might have to check that out.

I found it weird in a design sense that it's primarily a very random game but all power-up rewards in the game have a very set circumstance for appearing. Line clear only appears when you match 4, bombs when you match 5 and all the goals of course are all based on matching on specific tiles in the grid. To make the feel of the game more consistent it might be cool to add a chance for power-ups to appear randomly in some form or way. Maybe spawning at the top of the screen, revealing when you break a purple block or having a chance to appear when you match 3.

I just read about the cross-clear in the description now, you have a nice variety in power-ups although they also seem to have the same effect of clearing gems. I remember in an old match-3 game called Collapse that there was a power-up which changed gems on the board to another colour, could be interesting to explore more types of powers.

turtlesf responds:

Not a bug. Moving crystals into blank spaces lets you position them to make matches, destroy the quartz (rock) obstacles, or help move spike ball obstacles downward. Blank spaces should only appear when there is a quartz obstacle blocking crystals from falling.

Matching games have an element of randomness, but this makes the game less fair. A goal for this game was to limit randomness to encourage competition. The color of the gems that fall is not totally random, it is picked from a randomized list, this ensures there is not too many of one color falling down. I like the idea of having powerups fall down if the game was not geared toward competition.

I really like the color switching powerup idea. The color switching one may be overpowered for the size of the board, but I will have to think about it more.

What else could I say that others haven't... It's basically a Bejeweled clone. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, but there's not exactly anything new brought to the table. Although I do enjoy the music. It's alright.

this isn't new or interesting at all. the music is decent, the graphics are okay, but... it's just, as other reviewers have said, Bejeweled. something more original would get you more stars, but... this is anything but original.

turtlesf responds:

Well, I won't make another Match 3 game any time soon. I had a random strong desire to recreate a certain positive experience I had with match 3s... okay, Bejeweled 2 (space, 3d rendered gems), and few indie ones (obstacles, powerups, matching into blank spaces).

Its freaking Bejeweled... BUT the music is pretty badass and relaxing so Im giving you stars for that.

Pretty addictive game. My one complaint is that there were a few times I could see some obvious moves coming up and then it would tell me there were no moves left before the blocks fell and would reset the blocks. Also, I wish there were more levels, or maybe if you start on easy and beat the 5 levels, then it takes you to the medium difficulty automatically and keeps your score.

turtlesf responds:

I agree, 5 levels is too little, especially for players who like a certain difficulty. More will be added soon. The no more moves feature must be checking before all gems have fallen. I'll take a look and try to fix it.