Reviews for "Reactor idle"

So far I am really enjoying this game, right now i am slowly working towards nuclear power, one little suggestion, or idea, that I have would be to have a little counter somewhere on the screen that shows how many of a certain building you have on that map, I'm not saying it's needed just that it might help with some of the strategy and understanding of what is going on in that map. Especially if the maps keep getting bigger.

after reading other peoples comments i had to chime in. the person below me complains to much. it's called strategy, i like that you have to actually think a little. the auto sellers can only sell so much and i use batteries all the time. i'm about to buy a region. that guy is right about one thing, pay to play ruins games. some things i wanted to cover is the generators, when i place them into "plus formations" it seems that the heat doesn't distribute to the proper sides sometimes. still trying to figure that one out. btw i love the research part of it, makes it much more interesting. this game is awesome i hope you expand it for it has a lot of potential

Baldurans responds:

Thank you! This game is not pay to play, but purchases give you faster progress. Without paying progress is still ok, there are literally tens of thousands non paying players playing.
Purchases are to make back some of the time that goes into developing it, as add revenues really don't work for flash games :)

EVERY goddamn game be it an MMO, single player, idle game, etc. tries to have some sort of P2W attempt to make it more profitable at the expense of the game's quality. It eventually gets worse and becomes "pay walls" and everyone is sick of it. You tread a fine line adding microtransactions to a simple idle game. Big and small companies are ruining their otherwise great games by these greedy actions. You really need to be careful. That said, onto the game!

It needs a calculator. Srsly. Solar panels giving 10.1 heat each surrounding a Generator capable of converting X amount of heat... I'd have to make sure by a calculator, because no amount of the generator's max heat will stop it from exploding. If it collects ANY, it will eventually explode.. so why bother having any heat capacity at all? It creates a huge amount of micro-management. Simply put, if I don't calculate beforehand, everything could explode.

Same for offices and batteries. Why bother having energy storage when office selling power > power produced? Unlike heat though, nothing explodes when it maxes out.

Unlocking and using the next tier of energy or islands is immense. I unlock the coal power only to realize I'd need to upgrade my generators about ten more times. It's a double-hurdle in that it takes time to research and then time to get the appropriate upgrades and money to use them. Then I have to crunch numbers and make sure it's actually worth getting in the first place! It almost seems like the amounts were increased enough to encourage people to buy in for microtransactions. If that's the case, fuck this game.

Surrounding a generator with solar panels in a plus-sign configuration has me confused. With limited tiles to do this, it forces me (the player) to crunch numbers yet AGAIN to make sure no panels overlap and overheat a generator. Then, there's no mention that diagonal tiles don't count... the game says adjacent, which I would have thought it meant all eight tiles surrounding the one in the middle. Again, having the player find this out themselves is counter-intuitive to what an idle game is thought to be.

Researching and using the next bunch of power sources completely removes the purpose of the last one. There is no reason to place any more wind turbines after getting solar panels in place, except in irregular tiles. The difference is too vast. I expect when getting a coal plant placed, solar panels will never be used again as well.

So my advice is if you want MT in a game like this, you need a better game. If I'm going to place a solar panel I'd expect to see little red heat numbers displaying on adjacent tiles and how much a generator can hold vs. what you can place. I shouldn't have to crunch those numbers every time, ESPECIALLY in an idle game. Heck, you don't even have music or sound.. you need to go the extra mile if you want people to throw money at it.

Lastly, the offline bonus ticks are a nice feature I haven't seen in an idle game. I can wreck everything and place research centers everywhere, bonus that shit up halfway, then pause and replace with power producers to make money for the rest. No upgrades transfer to the next power plant, though? WTF? That makes no sense other than to create more of a grind.

Baldurans responds:

Thank you for a very thorough comment!

Game is balanced in a way that you can play nicely without doing any purchases. As this is meant to be an idle game, it has content for over a month! Seriously, it gets much much more challenging as time goes on, but the start is important to learn the basics. (Google images for reactor idle).

I agree, that this game is rather simple (no sound and simple graphics), more effort has been put to make it a nice brain game, where you have to figure out best solutions. In the end, you design nuclear reactors with water cooling and complex heat distribution systems :)

The goal of the game is to figure out ideal setups and that requires calculation, it is part of the design :)

Feels a bit unbalanced:
- 10 hours to the next upgrade for me now .... am i really supposed to wait so long ?
- the heat facilities produce that much energy, that i can't get rig of it. i unlocked the nuclear cells yesterday, but still using the gas burner. to control the 1.2milion heat it would take 12 boiler houses ... do i need more to say ?
- it takes way too long (in my mind) to get a new island.

It's a nice mechanism with the different facilities and there combinations .... but too slow.

Baldurans responds:

Thank you for comment. It is meant to be idle game, not quick 1 hour tour. That is why pace is not that fast. There is A LOT of late game content to enjoy and it gets more challenging as time goes on.

Not bad at all! It forces you to re-think about your power plants every time every time you buy an upgrade, and the progress curve is good.
Pay attention to a technical issue, though. When you pause the main screen and change tab (e.g. Upgrade), returning to the main view you have the [Pause] button and the game stopped, thus you have to click on pause twice.
Also, it would be useful to have the tab bar always present, so that you don't have to return to the main screen when you pass from Upgrades to Research and so on.