Reviews for "Bullet Heaven 2"

Definitely an improvement of Bullet Heaven, while preserving all the good stuff I like about games by Matt and Phyrnna.

Wow this game is extremely well done and it also seems well optimized. Everything about this game looks visually appealing and the music good god the music is so good.

I can only describe this game in one word: EPIC! this has been my greatest experience in a danmaku game (after touhou series of curse :3) personally, bullet heaven 2 (or hell :c) is the best flash hell bullet I've ever played, have my 5 stars, you earned it :3

A thoroughly amazing game! And Controller support! No flash game offers that! Mainly you boot up Joy2Key to set up controller inputs, but here, there's no need. Once again, Matt knows how to make a great flash game.

Although for some reason when I imported my save file here I didn't get the Newgrounds medals. Hope that gets fixed (and maybe the problem won't show up on the Steam version.)

matt-likes-swords responds:

The medals can definitely be resent in the Steam version, and I think in this version too - checking the medal menu should do it.

This was the game that got me back into Newgrounds after I put the site off for maybe five years. The page tells me I've already played 20 hours, but that only includes the times in which I played offline, which I often don't to conserve laptop battery. We can assume that a solid, full day went into this game already.

First and foremost, you obviously need to be into Bullet Hell games to enjoy this game. However, that doesn't mean you must be aware of that fact before you try it out. I literally discovered this game by saying to myself, "Oh my god, I'm so bored. Let's visit Newgrounds again after years and see what's on the front page." I've never played Bullet Hell games before, but this title right here makes me wonder why that is the case.

Gameplay-wise I was able to zone out through most of the first stages, despite my nonexistent previous skills. This game does a very good job at catering towards many types of players, because towards the later aspects of the game, the difficulty becomes downright balls if you just rush through.

The presentation is fantastic. Graphics are solid and appealing (so many cats :3), music is catchy, and – though I'm aware I can't speak for everyone here – the localization is actually done really well (I'm German). The jokes are on-point and you still fall in love for the characters. Now, I've obviously never played any other game from this universe before, and I still loved the personality for each and every character after only a few dialogues. (Though, I'll be bloody honest here, I thought Matt and Lance were girls at first...)

So, overall, really awesome game.

Now, you may wonder why the rating is still 4.5. Well, I wish I could pick 4.99, because as much as I love this game, there are two nagging points I have that really stop me from giving the full score.

1: Achievements
I really love achievements in video games, and this one is no exception. It's just that half of the achievements were "get a specific result for this specific level", which really isn't so much of an achievement and more of a nagging time waster, because you gotta try them over and over again for really no reward in the end. Stuff like "pass a level on hard without getting hit", those are challenges I like.

2: Secondary Weapon
Specifically, the controls. Why the hell it was designed this way I'll never understand. Many secondary weapons require you to hold down the respective button to work, which in case of the mouse is double clicking the left button. But if you select the settings so that your primary is fired automatically, holding down left click results in the main attack getting blocked.

The result? You can only choose between primary and secondary fire if you use automatic primary fire. Your only option to fire both is to press X, far away from my mouse and really awkwardly positioned.

I would've preferred it sooo much, if right mouse button was my secondary fire instead of the bomb, because I've never used bombs (why would I? They go directly against the final score). There should've at least been an option to change the settings.

But with all that said, I do hope a Bullet Heaven 3 gets made at some point!