Reviews for "Limbo"

Well well, all is well... I really don't know what to say. There are a lot of neat things going on here for me... a lot of subtleties that I appreciate for example just the fact that you decided to loop this even after 6 minutes gives me a chuckle. The piano chords in the beginning and end really flow nicely. This piece is very dynamic. I admire your ability to just sit at the piano, improvise, and create works with such rich chords in a very short amount of time. I tend to have to sit with a particular piece for a while to figure out what the music is trying to tell me and what direction it's telling me to take. I'm not a very good listener but I'm learning.
I think I know which piece of mine you took as inspiration. I hear that Major Seventh chord and its cool that you resolve it in a way that is unique to you, e.g. at 4:16. I hear hints of Return, but this is a joy to listen to because it's only sips here and there while you have created something completely original. Love your string work to reinforce the piano. Maybe muddy at times but I don't care. The sound works great to wash over you to create an emotional response. I absolutely love that string effect at 3:25... I'm not even sure what it's called. That was a great decision. Overall, without going into detail, this would be considered a great cinematic piece in a retro style. At 4:23 I think of Tron, and in other moments such as in 6:02 I hear Clair de Lune.
Thank you for such honor.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

"I really don't know what to say."

=> You said all the right things ;)

As the name of the track is "Limbo", I think it's very important that it loops. It gives the piece some extra symbolic value :D
Now, whether the listener wants to listen again (if they even make it through the track once), is up to them :p

I'm glad to hear that the piece is dynamic, as that is what I went for.

As for coming up with chords quickly, it's a learned ability. I've always been lucky enough to know what sound I want, in most cases. I guess that I am good at listening to what the music wants to tell me, when I channel it through me. But these past years, actually finding that sound on the piano has become a faster process. I don't actually have a good sense of pitch, but it's getting better! I think that chords, melodies and atmospheres are my three most prominent strenghts in music.

Yeah, "Return" has definitely been a big inspiration, not only for this track, but for what music is to me, in general. I find myself returning to that track quite a lot. More than once a month, I'd say for sure (Lol, like 50 of the listens on that track are probably mine).

4:16 is indeed a good catch! It's a bit too close, actually, but I'm glad that's okay :)

I don't know what the string effect is called either. The funny thing is that the entire climax of the piece would look very bad as sheet music. Because the piano is completely separate from the world of rhythm and tempo, and the strings have to follow. But I was too lazy not to quantize them, as that would've taken forever. So instead I tried to trick the listener through dynamics, and by the sheer speed. But if you try to count the rhythm, you'll find that you lose it almost immediately every time!

I can see your references to Tron and Clair de Lune. Good catch!

You're welcome, and thank you ;)