Reviews for "Barriers"

The game is okay and touching in a way, but the sharp contrast between the characters and everything else really does not work well (they are the most detailed thing in the game and, although I've commented to someone before saying that the controlled character deserves a great detail of attention and detail, when the environment is minimalistic, the characters should probably be as well). It may have been better if you made the boy just blue and the girl pink (or you could have had both of them black with the girl wearing a bow).

The puzzles are pretty simple (a little too linear in a number of the levels as you just go from switch to button), but some of the challenges that you put in would definitely be difficult for two people to do together.

Some things I would consider adding in the future though would be:
- after having touched, little heart would float into the air from them.
- Maybe a quick transition from level to level, and after deaths.
- A way to restart the game after reaching the end.
- Put the instructions in the description or in the game itself.

Good job on your first game. I wish you luck on being a game creator.

FSt-Germain responds:

Thanks for the response. I like your idea of simplifying the characters. I will put some more thought into it and it might happen :) Lots of people have been suggesting more levels so I might try to add less linear levels. I will certainly add a way to restart the game. It never crossed my mind that someone would want to play more than once (it is a puzzle game after all, and it's no fun if you already know the puzzles). Thanks for the excellent points.

Okay. So, this game was really good. A few recommendations would be just a few more levels and a few bug fixes. I.e. The last level in this version of the game, when you have to make the jumps during on the right side of the map, the player may literally be sky-rocketed off the screen during jumps. I mean, I found it hilarious, but I don't know how others would perceive it. Good game though!

FSt-Germain responds:

Thanks for the response. I've encountered the same problem (It totally was hilarious) I think at some point I will put out an update which fixes the many problems. I'm glad you enjoyed the game:)

Hey there. This would be a good game for those who are in relationship and test whether their synergy is truly sweet and go well together.

The game's concept is simple. There is a man and there is a woman, and we simply need to have both meet each other. The premise is simple. Under that, the game proceeds as puzzle levels where both the man and the woman must cooperate. It is a must to have 2 players to play this game for the game to shine brighter than the sun.

However, I believe this is an alpha stage of the game. All the concepts and what not are in. What are left is to polish and ensure that the game experience flows well to the audience.

For example, when the man and the woman meet, we could show both the man and the woman slowly french kissing each other (and add a sound effect for this). This will give the players (or lovers) the gratification of accomplishment together.

Another instance is when one of the lovers hit the laser (?), the stage simply restarts. To ensure the game flows well, there should be a sound indicating one of the players is hit by a laser as well as disabling the movement for that player. After that, the game could splash an image showing an "ouch" image to the lovers, then restart. This will allow the game to flow better, rather than simply restarting. Yet, I do understand that this is your first game, but this game shows that you are now ready to proceed further in crafting richer experience. :)

The puzzle itself is intuitive and you always know what you should do. Nevertheless, a tiny mistake could punish the lovers to repeat the stage over, doing all the things they have done in the past minutes. This disrupts the flow of the game and could irritate the lovers, yet it could be easily fixed with a quick auto-save and allow the lovers to reload to rewind and fix their mistake. Does Unity have such feature?

Other than that, great job. Keep up the good work.

FSt-Germain responds:

I really like your ideas to improve game flow. I would like some reward at the end of each level like a kiss, or maybe a heart pops up and brings you to the next level or something. I will definitely look for a good end to a level like that. Also I like the idea that I could play a sound effect or something when they get hit by a laser. I'll look into it. I want the game to be challenging but I obviously don't want to annoy the players, so I will need to come up with a solution like you said. I'm not sure if you meant a rewind feature, or just the ability to restart a level from any point in the level. I personally think that would make the game less challenging, because there is no failure, but I get what you're saying with it ruining the flow of the game. I will have to think about a better solution to that problem. Thanks for all the feedback!

I played by myself and it was a little confusing coordinating both characters, I'm shure it's better whith a friend. I love puzzles and this was a pretty good one the levels challenging but fun. Great job.

I had to play this game by myself because I have no friends and any girl would probably find it as an obvious and awkward hint if I tried to convince them to play this with me. However, this game did ease my lonely soul.

If the background music to this game was what I woke up to every morning, my life might be pretty easy. So first off, good job picking a song that matched the game's theme and length perfectly. Also, as cheap as the physics and movement might seem to some, it plays perfectly. It's not overly thought or glitchy. In fact, it's just humorous enough to have two people bumping into each other (I like to complete a level during a jump) that it also matches the upbeat, carefree vibe of the theme song.

You have a knack for level design. The last level was the only one I had to restart, but my mind felt active and engaged during every level. No solution was entirely obvious because you don't denote exactly what any triggers will perform. I know some people prefer to eyeball levels and solve the entire level before starting play, but so long as the evolution of a level relatively pain-free, I don't mind either way.

I'll give an example of another game - Pixelo - which you can find here on Newgrounds. Mathematically, every level could be solved if you could think enough moves ahead... It's really a game about truthy or falsy matrices. However, in practice it's difficult to see that many moves ahead. The more you play the game, the better you get at proving single moves are correct, rather than trying to solve the entire board at once. (Unless you're just that good. I don't know.)

Anyways, a gripe I actually had about Pixelo is that it punishes you for making bad moves. I don't believe in punishing players too harshly.

Thankfully, your levels are small, challenging, and at the same time very fluent. If you make a mistake, you can generally go back and fix it. I suppose you have to assume your partner is somewhat competent and isn't just going to stay in the same place and get locked inside of a wall... but I didn't find it to be a major issue.

So...

I would say go for more intricate levels. Increasing game length is a difficult thing to do. And if you have too many levels with basic play, it gets very frustrating to players. Examples I'll cite are Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES and Kid Chameleon for the Sega Genesis. Kid Chameleon especially had many levels as the game went on that felt like procedurally generated variations of previous levels. It got annoying. After playing so many levels, you felt as though you should have already been rewarded for mastering the "level type".

That's an issue I foresee if you had spent time creating more levels. I'd ask myself, why am I still being presented with challenges, even though I've proven myself capable of completing them?

Obviously, you could have added things like teleporters, lasers, enemies, etc. I'm going to be honest, the fundamental idea behind these type of flip-the-switch puzzle games is too simple to justify additional obstacles like that. Your fire wall obstacles were perfect because they made me think about my movements without having to worry about timing them too carefully. That fits in with the "relaxing" type concentration that this game offers.

So what I would suggest for this game and its theme is something like collectible items. Ideally, non-required bonus items to start just so people like me who have OCD about winning games at 100% completion will have something to look forward to at the end. It'd be funny, albeit a little sexist, for example, if you didn't collect these items and a green guy came by at the end and took your girl... unless you had all the medallions, of course, in which case he wouldn't.

In other words, a relaxed theme game needs optional puzzles. When you start adding additional, mandatory mechanics, you break the theme and you break the user's love of the game.

I will say that I had a lot of love and enjoyment for this game and that trust was never violated. That's important. Keep it up! You're bound to go far :)

FSt-Germain responds:

Thanks for this awesome review! I'm glad you really understood the theme, and relaxed puzzling that I was going for. I understand what you're saying with the intricate levels. The first four a slow, and I like the idea of condensing those basic mechanics into one level, so i might post an update with more intricate levels :) I get what you're saying with the collectibles, It was something that consciously avoided at first, because I wanted it to be a clean experience. But now that you have given me a better idea than just putting coins everywhere, I think it would be a fun way to engage more experienced players. I would have to redesign all the levels of course, so we'll see if I put it in an update, but it's going to bother me every update I don't put it in now because It's such a good idea. Thanks for the response, I have so many great ideas on how I can improve this game!